Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Summer Thoughts


The hardest decision to make was always which color to choose.
Should I go with the green or the yellow?
What about the red?
But there's also the blue--
and if I choose the blue will I go with the dark royal blue or the softer pastel blue?
A very important decision,
for this spiral notebook would cradle all the memories of my summer vacation.
It was here I would record the minute details of our daily itinerary,
the silly things one of us said or did,
the important events I didn't want to forget,
my impressions of the world I was discovering,
even my most intimate thoughts about the day's menu.
It was here I would recall the moments that had us all in fits of laughter,
like the time Grandad ran over the main water line while trying to park the trailer,
putting the entire campground out of water until proper repairs could be made.
Of course he didn't find anything amusing about it at the time
but we were always able to make light of the mishaps and mistakes
once tempers had a chance to cool.
And it was here I would tape every shred of memorabilia that was tapeable--
receipts and brochures,
my ticket to Disneyland,
a ziplock bag filled with sand from my first trip to the beach,
postcards from Red River, Colorado Springs, the Grand Canyon,
a flattened penny engraved with the heads of four former Presidents.
It was those summer journals that taught me the value of recording the days of my life--
both memorable and mundane.
It was by staying awake just a few extra minutes each night
in order to avidly record the day's details
that I learned everything may not necessarily have a purpose or reason
but everything does hold the meaning you choose to give it,
and I have spent the rest of my life making meaning.
Summer journals lead to years of putting life between the pale blue lines
of a spiral notebook.
And this is perhaps one of the greatest gifts my Meme ever gave me.

15 Comments:

Blogger Yolanda said...

Love this photo and the post. Like you I have recorded my thoughts in notebooks all my life.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I love that photo!!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Irene said...

"everything does hold the meaning you choose to give it"
amen sister.

10:47 PM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

That photo screams summer...so pretty and tranquil.

3:40 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

loving the photo...its amazing.

and the post to match...
life recorded
through pale blue lines...
sigh
:)

4:40 AM  
Anonymous hundredandone said...

What a lovely post. You make me want to go out and buy myself a new, blue, journal!

5:50 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Lovely post and picture. What a great idea. I think I will buy some for the kids this summer and see what they come up with. Thanks for the idea!
a.

6:33 AM  
Blogger melba said...

My journals are definately my most prized possession. If there was a fire they would be the first "thing" I grabbed. I am glad you cherish yours too. Where do you keep them? When we first moved here I put mine in the basement because we didn't have any bookcases, but then I missed seeing them so I bought two inexpensive bookcases (the kind you put together yourself)I moved them upstairs to the living room. I like seeing them; they give me strength.

7:11 AM  
Blogger baylor said...

Lovely...

xoxo

7:39 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

What a beautiful ode to the journal and a sweet reminder that our day-to-day lives are precious. And the peacefulness of that photo - delicious. I wish I could be there.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Star said...

Love your photo. With a picture like that, who would believe this wasn't your first choice for a weekend of camping?

10:52 AM  
Blogger The Whole Self said...

oooh michelle, you're right on topic! i was just talking with my husband last night about how i recorded such mundane things, like which flavor gum i was chewing, what was on tv, which song was on the radio, but now looking back those are the best pieces because they give perspective. we had so much fun reading aloud from my 5th grade journal last night, new kids on the block clippings and all. :)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

Oh how wonderful! Is there anything better than journals and notebooks filled with your everything?? What a fabulous gift to be given.

7:41 PM  
Blogger --erica said...

stunning.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Delaleuverses said...

Very nice post, I'm glad I stopped by to read your journal

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home