Thursday, June 08, 2006

~Poetry Thursday~


Sometimes words fail me,
like today,
when I wanted to tell you
about my orange,
this orange,
sitting in the palm of my cupped hand,
like a little moon
wrapped in perfect dimpled goodness.
I wanted to tell you
how its flesh was thin but firm
and how it held on tightly,
not as if in a struggle,
but like a familiar lover in a playful game
of hard to get.
I wanted to tell you
how excited that little orange was
to offer its juicy sweetness
at the alter that is my tongue,
how it was so anxious that it began
spilling its sacrifice before I could completely
unfold its bright orange flesh.
I wanted to tell you
how the wet stickiness was like a river
running from fingers to elbow,
how it simply could not contain its joy,
how it so reminded me of the delighted squeals
of a young child,
of hungry shouts calling, "Look at me, look at me!
Look at me!"
I wanted to tell you
how much I understood this orange,
how I too am standing in this place,
in the palm of life's cupped hand,
begging, "Look at me, look at me!
Look at me!"
**************************************
I want to tell you about my unusual and unexpected poetry reading. Saturday night I went with some girlfriends to get a tattoo (pics to come later, once the redness and swelling are gone.) I got a beautiful bird tattooed on the top of my left foot with the words "live you poem" written underneath it in French--because everything's more beautiful in French. When the artist asked me to translate the words for him he begin to recite Robert Frost. I had my own little poetry reading there in the tattoo parlor, my foot propped up, the artist working to create another beautiful masterpiece.

21 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Thank goodness Blogger seems to be allowing comments again. I tried and tried to comment on your wondeful post from yesterday and finally gave up.

I love this poem and also the story of your impromptu poetry reading. Can't wait to see how the tat turned out!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah e.Smith said...

I love how you used that phrase for your new tattoo...and you are right, everything does sound so lovely in French. I can't wait to see your new tattoo :)

9:23 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I love this poem! Yay!

I love also the poetry reading at the tattoo parlor. Poetry is everywhere. Every. Where.

9:24 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

michelle - i adore this poem. beautiful.

and yes...a poetry reading at the tatoo parlor. this is wondrous.

and live your poem. oh my dear. i cannot wait to see it (wish you lived closer and could take me to get mine...that is whenever i am brave enough and make a final decision about what to get).

9:30 PM  
Blogger ESB said...

wow!!!! double wow!! your voice is strong and clear in that poem..shades of mary o....

11:11 PM  
Blogger deirdre said...

Magic. Just gorgeous, pure, magic.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Visual-Voice said...

I feel compelled to eat oranges now to feel more sacred, erotic, and alive!

3:57 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

that poem was
like
immediate gratification
for me...
as i read it
i felt fulfilled
and each line was perfect.

wow.

and yay for impromptu poetry readings.

my tattoo artist played
some billy idol for me instead...
heehee
:)

4:36 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

Can't WAIT to see your tattoo. I love that you had your own personal poetry reading; I'm getting tattooed tomorrow!!

4:43 AM  
Blogger my pink sky said...

just beautiful.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

OOOOOOh. I love this juicy, juicy poem.

So proud of you for going to get that tattoo. I bet it will be lovely-more so because any tattoo artsist that recites Frost while tattooing must be a great artist right? I am steryotyping something awful aren't I. It must be because of my new found love for poetry.

Having the writing in french sounds so romantic-

5:11 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

You did it! I knew you were thinking about it...wow. Can't wait to see it! I love your orange poem. It made me smile and think about all of the little things in life that we forget. Pure poetry and it's just an orange!
Awesome!
a.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love that you got your tattoo written in french, can't wait to see it.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Can't wait to see your new ink!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Wow, you made peeling an orange a beautiful thing. I'll think of this everytime I eat an orange. Brava!

9:35 AM  
Blogger M said...

I love the poem and the tatoo sounds beautiful!! What an experience! Life is so amazing with it's little moments that creep up on and us and leave us wanting more.
I couldn't comment on your post yesterday (bad Blogger indeed!), but wanted to say thank you for sharing your incredible experience- I too have had moments like that and they are such a gift. I like the idea of angels, of how Susannah put it in that we're all connected- I'm so glad you were able to find the strength you needed. The love and support from within, wow.

10:02 AM  
Blogger melba said...

I am excited that you got a tatoo. I can't wait to see it! How cool that the tatoo artist started reciting poetry. He was there to encourage you to live your poem!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Everything IS more beautiful in French, indeed. And that photo is amazing. Amazing! I'm clicking on over to your Flickr site right now!

12:13 AM  
Blogger rachel said...

I love the poem, especially the end. Lovely
Rachh

8:19 AM  
Blogger mayseek life said...

incredible imagery....the tattoo artist reciting frost is the frosting on the cake!! it makes a great event truly memorable.the bird is spectacular.

4:38 PM  
Blogger tracey said...

Only you could bring beauty into a tattoo parlor.

I love that you can do that. It's a gift.

Can't wait to see that tat.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home