Tuesday, May 16, 2006

SPC {Introduction-3}


Because I will turn 33 tomorrow I give you 33 random, pointless, trivial (and perhaps a little bit interesting) facts that you may or may not know about me...


1. Michelle is actually my middle name. My first name is Gwendolyn.
2. I'm named after both my parents. My mother's name is also Gwendolyn (she goes by Gwen) and Michelle is the feminine form of my dad's name, Michael.
3. I am the oldest of four children. I have two sisters and a brother.
4. Some things I wanted to be as a child: a missionary, a teacher, a singer, an actress, a wife/mother, Barbara Mandrell, and Marie Osmond.
5. Some things I've wanted to be as an adult: an actress, a movie director, a rock star, a poet, a dancer, a writing/journaling teacher, a women's studies professor, a life coach
6. My favorite color is pink.
7. I've had stitches twice. The first time was when I was a sophomore in high school and my thumb was slammed in the door of my youth minister's mini-van. The second time was when I had a c-section.
8. When I was around 9 or 10 the back of my earring grew into my ear and I had to go to the ER and have it cut out.
9. I inherited my freckles from my dad.
10. I love salsa. Every week, when I make my weekly grocery run, I pick up a jar and I always finish it off before the next week. There has even been a time or two that I've had to make an emergency grocery run to procure another bottle.
11. I wear glasses all the time but I seldom wear them for photos because of the glare. I've tried contacts but they hurt my eyes.
12. I'm not a big desert eater and please don't gasp too loudly but I'm not a big chocolate fan either.
13. I prefer the Beatles over the Stones.
14. One of my life dreams is to spend an extended period of time exploring Paris.
15. When I was a child my sisters and I traveled with my grandparents to my aunt's home in Albuquerque NM to meet my dad for Thanksgiving. My aunt had a suitcase full of Barbie dolls/clothes, a parrot named Jose that could sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and an atrium with a little kumquat tree.
16. I adore the ice from Sonic.
17. One thing I have absolutely no interest in ever doing is bungee jumping.
18. I've seen Bruce Springsteen in concert four times.
19. The last concert I went to was Metalica.
20. The one book I've read more than any other is The Color Purple.
21. I've always wanted to be a red head. I've dyed my hair a couple of times but that's just too much maintenance.
22. If I could have anyone's body it would be Selma Hayek's. I love her voluptuous curves.
23. The worst job I ever had was as a receptionist for a podiatrist's office. The job itself wasn't too bad but the office manager (who also happened to be the podiatrist's wife) was impossible. A friend and I nicknamed her Itsy-Bitsy because she just wanted to keep everybody small and treated people like they were worthless.
24. The hardest job I ever had was being a chaplain...so much grief and death and emotion.
25. The one thing about being a chaplain that other's hated but didn't really bother me much was cleaning, dressing, and photographing stillborn babies. It was hard emotional work but I didn't mind doing it not because I'm morbid but because parents who have just lost their baby are in so much grief that this was the only thing I felt I could do for them. There was no way to comfort them, nothing that would ease their pain, but I could love on that baby, get that baby ready for them to hold and spend time with, and take photographs that they could have in the years to come.
26. I do own a pink feathered boa, a sparkly tiara, a versatile straw hat, and an all purpose cowboy hat but I DO NOT own a tutu and I would really love a tutu.
27. If Britton had been a girl I would have named her Gracyn Vianne (and yes, Vianne is the character in Chocolat.)
28. Britton and I don't have the same last name and I sometimes regret that decision. Having a different last name doesn't make me any less his mother but the fact that me and my son will never share a last name holds a lot of symbolic meaning for me.
29. My first date was with a boy named Mike. I was 17. He was 16. He took me to a local Italian restaurant then we drove around town in his mother's car listening to Bel Biv Devo waiting for the next showing of Total Recall which we ended up making out through.
30. Since I've become a vegetarian I can not live without whole grain tortillas, black beans, Gardenburgers, avocados, brown rice, and of course salsa.
31. Since I've become a vegetarian the only thing I really miss is fried chicken (KFC, chicken nuggets, chicken strips, etc.)
32. I can give up meat but I just can't, Can't, CAN'T give up cheese.
33. I still wonder what I should be when I grow up. I guess the best and only thing I really can be is Michelle and so I'm trying to master the art of being Michelle...which isn't always easy because sometimes I struggle with liking and accepting myself and lately I've been feeling really bitchy...

So, in light of this information what questions do you have for me? Is there something you want to know that I haven't covered? Ask away. Tomorrow's post will be dedicated to answering your questions... Stay tuned...

42 Comments:

Anonymous samantha said...

*mwah* You are fabulous. Everytime I read you, I like you more and more. And damn it, I really like it that you need a tutu!

I have no questions for you, as my brain is fried, but have the happiest birthday ever. You are wise, you are amazing. You are woman, deliciously, wonderfully made.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Glamorous Jo said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Would you rather be a monkey or a bird?

8:48 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

It's past midnight here in Kentucky, so I'll start off by saying Happy Birthday!

Love your list.

What's your favorite salsa?
Lame-o question, but I'm tired. Plus I really love salsa! :-)

9:14 PM  
Blogger lela said...

what a fabulous list!
and happy happy day to you!!!
xoxoxo

9:40 PM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Who do you want to be when you're 53?

In twenty years, what parts of you do you want to stay, and what parts of you do you want to change?

And, Happy Birthday Week!! And, your hair looks red to me...very pretty photos of you, very, very pretty!!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Ali la Loca said...

Happy Birthday!

I would have sworn up and down based on your photos that you are a natural redhead. I guess it's the freckles, which are wonderful by the way.

I loved your list. I am from Albuquerque (and my neighbor had a kumquat tree when I was little, but no parrot), I am also called by my middle name (I'm Katherine Alexandra, my mom is Katherine Harvey), I don't really love chocolate, and I also feel like quite the bitch lately.

2 years ago I had a huge crisis in my life - I mean really huge - and when I finally made it to the other side I decided it was high time to start sticking up for myself in life. Now I tell people NO with no problem, don't feel obligated to be chatty or nice if I don't feel like it, and am a lot more honest with people than ever before. Probably because I was brought up to never rock the boat and tolerate inappropriate behavior, a lot of times staying true to myself feels like being a bitch. Sometimes I'm sure others feel I'm being a bitch, too.

So here's the thing...I AM A MILLION TIMES HAPPIER BEING A BITCH, despite the fact that this causes weight on my conscience a lot of the time.

What I'd like to know is the following: What does being a bitch mean for you? Are you happier being a bitch, or is it something you want to change?

12:50 AM  
Blogger justine said...

Happy Birthday! I just turned 33 also.
I thought you were a natural red head!! : )

12:54 AM  
Blogger Susannah said...

Happy Birthday Michelle :-) i hope being 33 will be as powerful and enlightening for you as it is for me (so far...).

Tell us about your favourite noun, verb, adjective and adverb...

Sx

1:59 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

happy birthday pahhy thirbyad appy irthday...

sorry..i don't know what it is
about birthday wishes that make me
silly.
:)

i have been racking my brain
to think of a question
but man, its 6:30 am and
i'm not made to be up that early
heehee...

have a FANTASTIC birthday!!!!!

2:47 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

What a great list, Michelle. I hope it is a love-filled birthday.

Questions? Not really, I am still taking in that list.

OK, what have been the real 'pivot points', those decisions that shot you down totally unexpected roads?

3:53 AM  
Blogger Kamsin said...

I also love cheese, I lived the best part of a year without eating cheese (not by choice) and now I'm just crazy for it (I also blame it that I've gone up a dress size in the past year!).

So two questions:

1) what's your favourite kind of cheese? (that was kind of predictable, eh?);
and 2) if you could do one thing to make your life just a little bit better by this time next year, what would you do/ see/ make/ be?

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

4:41 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

Happiest of 33rd birthdays! I love this photo of you, very pretty and very natural. I also love list and like you, the nugget thing....it's the hardest part of being veg.

4:43 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Yeah your 33! Happy Birthday hon!!! Ok, this was SUCH an interesting list. You must do a follow up post at a later date explaining a few of those.

I hope you have a wonderful year and 33 is good! :)

a.

5:53 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

my first date was with a mike too!
so darn cute. he had a full cast on his leg [baseball injury] and had to put his right leg over on my side of the car and drive with
his left foot.

i also unfortunately married a man
named mike, he was an ass and i divorced him.

i love your list!

5:57 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

Happy Birthday. I remember 33. Barely. ;) I'm now 46 due to be 47 in July.

What do you eat with your salsa?

Why won't you and your son ever have the same last name?

6:17 AM  
Blogger maggiegracecreates said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY _ GIRLIE

Question - mmmm

Why do always want to change something about our hair? I am a natural redhead, but I 've also been blonde, brown, blackberry, and Spiked w/coca-cola red highlights.

Enjoy yourself.

6:21 AM  
Blogger ESB said...

Happy Birthday, Michelle! I think that 33 is one of the sexiest ages! Have a magical birthday and year.....

Will you ever get married again?

6:30 AM  
Blogger mayseek life said...

do you know how much your writings are a source of contemplation(therefore gifting me/us)? do you know how appreciated your efforts are? i really hope your answering YES

7:08 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Birthday!!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

Happy Birthday to a completely fascinating person.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

happy birthday michelle! I did random things about me too, so it was cool to log onto your blog and see you did the same. I am also not a huge chocolate person and am also quite morbid. I am also very glad u got your comments back because last week when i was here, i could not leave u a comment!! :)

9:43 AM  
Blogger M said...

What a brilliant list! Love the photo as well!! I'm also a big believer in celebrating birthdays big style- not hiding behind our fear of getting older but embracing the grace and beauty of it!

9:49 AM  
Blogger mati rose said...

happy birthday, gwendolyn! i like both names so. double 3's! you know what they say about 3 being the magic #:)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh my..LOl...the same thing happened to my left earing around the same age! Pretty freaky when I discovered it-kept groping for the front.

Why don't you go by your first name?

What do you like to have for breakfast?

How long did you try contacts?-this is a bit selfish because I have been wearing mine for a few hours almost each day this week, and I still find them uncomfortable.

Where did you get the outfits you have been wearing in the last 2-3 pictures.

Love the photo by the way:)

10:47 AM  
Blogger megg said...

I just wanted to say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope that your day has been wonderful so far and is getting better and better! My question for you?? Um, what would be the best birthday present you could possibly get (a THING.)

LOVE to you today!!! XOXO

11:12 AM  
Blogger cityfarmer said...

You have an exciting road ahead, and since 50 is the new 35 (33)
you have alot of life to live.
I'm 53, just lost 25 pounds work out every day, garden, load my furniture, and much more and the fact is I've never felt better.
Go girl.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Elle said...

I love the name Britton! I have been wondering...where did you get that name and what made you decide to give that name to your baby boy?

12:40 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

number 14 and coco chanel! meet me in Paris next year for your irthday!!

12:51 PM  
Blogger ♥ joleen ♥ said...

i LOVE your list!!

happy birthday, my friend! xo

2:42 PM  
Blogger Cactus Jelly said...

Hey - we share the same birthday! And I turned 33 today as well! Happy Birthday to you:)

XXOO - LeeAnn

3:27 PM  
Blogger Mardougrrl said...

Happy Happy birthday, Gwendolyn Michelle! I'll be 33 next month...tell me how it is. ;)

I loved your list...you sound positively fascinating, but I already knew that!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Jeris said...

Well, here's hoping you get 33 comments today!

I love your self portrait.

4:14 PM  
Blogger baylor said...

Bel Biv Devoe! Now that is a blast from the past!

We have a lot in common! I love your list!

xoxo

5:31 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

well i am so enthralled with your list... so eclectic and so well chosen. i feel like i know you, yet with someone as extraordinary as you, i know this has only begun to scratch the surface. for the record... i can totally see you as a gwendolyn.

my question.... does britton ever walk around in your shoes and if so, which ones?

have a very sparkley birthday tomorrow!!!! xxxxooo- snowsparkle

7:48 PM  
Blogger my pink sky said...

Happy Birthday, Michelle! Hope your day and entire year is full all the sweetness, love, and inner wisdom that you always share with others...what special plans have you made to celebrate?
~mindy

8:09 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

Happy Birthday and what a cool list! I can't wait until my birthday in July - I'm going to do a list like this as well!

If you could have lunch with anyone for your birthday (other than Britton *smile*) who would it be and why?

Have a really wonderful day!

8:37 PM  
Anonymous bella said...

Happy Birthday!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

You are becoming wiser by the day - and letting go of your self-imposed requirement to be "nice" all the time - and you call that bitchy. I think you are just empowering yourself.

I hope your birthday is SPECTACULAR.

Question: Has letting go of a lot of dogma you were taught as a child given you a sense of freedom, or given you a sense of confusion?

9:43 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

happy....happy....happy birthday my dear. I think I am just under the wire in your time zone to wish it on your big day.

i hope this next year is full of moments of peace, silliness, joy, and love...and that you begin to feel your deep roots that support you as your grow and throw your head back and roar!

10:55 PM  
Blogger LiteraryGirl said...

Love your list. I could have written 30 and 32. I think about becoming a Vegan and that is the one thing holding me back...my love of all things cheese.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

But you do know that you already ARE a rock star, right?? ;) xoxo

11:47 AM  
Blogger Lina said...

I like your photo. And I liked reading your list too.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home