Monday, May 01, 2006

Seeing the World in Black and White


I've been wanting to shake it up a bit here in the sweet life blogsphere. Ya know, do a little something different. So, I thought, this being a new month and all, that I would issue myself a different challenge every week of the month. Not that I don't already have enough challenges with the 21 Day Challenge into it's second week, the Book of Dreams group, and a very rambunctious three-year-old ripping through the house like a bat out of hell. I thought a little challenge here would be nice too. Week one: the black and white challenge. In other words, every photo I post this week will be in black and white.

I love black and white photos. I think they are classic and can often times turn a mediocre photo into something fabulous. I just don't usually take a lot of b&w pics or edit a pic to remove the color. I don't know why. I just rarely think about it or take the time to do it. But this week I'm going to take another look at the world around me and see just what I can capture in a colorless format. It ought to be interesting and a nice step outside my color filled comfort zone.

And for those of you participating in Artsymama's Book of Dreams challenge I have created a Flickr set for the photos I've taken of my book. I thought that would be easier than trying to post all the pics here. When I've updated my account with new creations I'll let you know so that you can click on over and see what I've been up to. For those of you not participating it's never too late. We just started this week and the technique for the week was pockets. I love me some pockets!!! I spent my weekend surrounded by vintage photos, double sided tape, glue sticks, scraps of delicious colored paper, tags, and all sorts of other goodies. I have created and created and created. And I love my book!!! I had originally intended for the book to feature bits and pieces of some of my favorite poems. Well, over the weekend it metamorphosed into a book honoring the poetry of Mary Oliver. It seems I love her so much I never could manage to move on to another poet. So this is my Ode to Mary. I must admit I haven't seen the work the other participants have created. I want to but I'm also scared. This art journal/altered book business is new to me and my inner artist is still a little fragile. I'm lovin' my work and I don't want seeing other work to usher in the inner critic. So I'm inhaling deeply, taking the risk, and heading over to see what the other gals are doing. I'll remember that my inner critic is a scared little girl who received too many reprimands in the past and just wants to be loved and accepted. And you never know...I just might find some really cool techniques that other participants have used to try out in my own book. To view my BOD pages click here.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love black and white photography, you are right about it turning a sometimes mediocre photo into something fabulous.

And don't talk to me about the inner critic ... sigh.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

Black and white always gives me a twinge of delicious melancholy, but not as much as sepia. If you were doing sepia, I would have to keep the Kleenex handy. Can't wait to see the Mary Oliver book!

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Toryssa said...

My old roommate and I used to refer to each other only as bitch, we rarely used names. It was best in public - shout YO, BITCH in the grocery store and you get all kinds of dirty looks. (that was all because of annonymous. Just saying that bitch was probably totally meant as endearingly as my friend and I used it!)

Your pages are fantastic, Michelle! I love to see artist's work!!

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Stacy said...

Great job Michelle- love the concept of your bod- can't wait to see more as the weeks progress- plus i love the black and white photo self challenge thing also- great thought!- Until next week! I also need to figure out that flicker thing for my blog- great idea for the bod-...
Stacy

4:21 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

Black and white photos are my most favorite of all. I love your photos lately girlfriend, really creative, really cool.

4:37 AM  
Blogger melba said...

Michelle, I love your BOD. Especially the BINGO card...so reminds me of my grandma's. I use to go to bingo all the time with them. Neither of them go very often because it is difficult for them to keep up.
Keep creating and sharing please!

6:03 AM  
Blogger Visual-Voice said...

Lovely and inspired book!

I love b&w photography because I find poetry in it. I takes us out of the context of complete this is what I see reality, forcing to see the subject in a way they are incapable of seeing it with their RGB eyes. And, there's so much you can do to manipulate a b&w image using channels in photoshop too.. just like using filters in traditional photography.

The only thing that bugs me about digital black and white is the prints never have the same romance of a good fiber-based print or a platinum prints... you could get lost in the rich, lickable blacks of a well-executed silver print. Digital is so superb, but every choice has it's price... in so many ways old fashioned photography was better.

keep up the good work!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

very cool..i love this concept and i love b/W photos!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Sarah e.Smith said...

There is such an allure to black and white photography. There is just something so special about what it captures that color photography just can't do. Your Book of Dreams is beautiful, i loved all of the pics you posted up on Flickr...beautiful work created by a beautiful soul :)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Jon Cox said...

AWESOME blog!! You have some really very beautiful pictures as well. :o)

10:08 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

the black and white idea sounds
very interesting...can't wait to
see what comes forth!

and i went and looked at your book
of dreams...man, you are a
NATURAL...you would never guess
that you have not done this before!

:)

10:13 AM  
Blogger ArtsyMama said...

I think your book is amazing. I am a HUGE fan of Mary Oliver myself. I love your use of white in your book. Sooo cool! The photos are absolutely wonderful. I also love your blog challenge idea. I've always been a huge fan of black and white photos.

11:07 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Look at you! Your book is fantastic! My favorite is the page with the large black and white photo of the woman with the pink bow tied around...fabulous!

I can't wait to see more of your b&w photots. This one is very cool too. You are just on creative fire here! :)
a.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Your book of dreams is beautiful. It makes me wish I knew you, so I could sit with you and look through the pages...very pretty and so soulful!

Looking forward to your black and whites!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love balck and whites too, especially of people.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I cannot wait to see your photos!!

2:48 PM  
Blogger tara dawn said...

I love black and white photos...they carry a sense of timelessness and definitely a classic beauty. I look forward to seeing your pics this week. And props to you on your Book of Dreams...take risks and dream big...your inner beauty will manifest itself in the pages, I have no doubt.
Thank you so much for your sweet comment...it means so much to me to have you, and this wonderful community, as support.
Love and hugs,
TD

3:58 PM  
Blogger --erica said...

Can't wait to see!

5:20 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

ooooh yessss!!! black and white photos.... i'll be drooling all week! thanks! (don't listen to the scared little girl... tell her to f#ck off!)

6:19 AM  
Blogger Peter Bryenton said...

You may find something helpful for your inner artist over at Durga's place.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home