Thursday, May 04, 2006

Poetry Thursday - One of My Own


She always meets me where I am.
I don't have to roam around to find her;
she has a canny way of finding me.
First in a tree, then
clinging to a barbed wire fence,
this time circling the clouds.
Higher and higher she rose with fierce grace
and elegant beauty.
She's strong and powerful.
Her song reminds me that I'm strong and powerful.
I imagine myself flying with her,
not straddling her massive back
or tucked under her feathered wing
or clinging to her downy chest,
not hanging from her tail feathers or
gripped in her golden claws.
I imagine myself curled within her chest,
caged in the hollow of her ribs,
right next to her small red beating heart,
there where it's safe and warm,
there where I can absorb the pounding rhythm of
her wings in flight,
there where her calling can echo through the
dark corners of my heart,
there where I can learn the secrets of touching
the sun with delicate wings,
there where I can rest and build my strength
until my own wings are healed.

18 Comments:

Blogger lovegreendog said...

"...caged in the hollow of her ribs,
right next to her small red beating heart,
there where it's safe and warm,"

breathtaking

7:48 PM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

Just wanted to remind you that hawk symbolizes the messenger in most native traditions. Hmmm...can't help but think that the healing you long for will come from your most beautiful words. Like hawk, you're a messenger!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

This one made me sigh a great contented sigh, Michelle. Lovely.

I like the photo too.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Bohemian Girl said...

so, so lovely and perfect.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

I love the image of being safe within the ribs of a bird...beautiful!!

11:57 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Beautiful. You are inside the hawk but the image will lift you from inside too. Excellent.

12:39 AM  
Blogger twistedsoda said...

I imagine and see it all!!! Wonderful wings...

12:44 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Fly me to the moon, in other words hold my hand! Have a good weekend girl!

3:59 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

beautiful...
learning the secret of touching
the sun...rest until my own wings
are healed....

beautiful.

:)

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Beautiful, Michelle! And you know, I can picture you there...in her beating chest...soaring into your strength and power...

5:19 AM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Up and away!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer (she said) said...

these words and the image you create with them mean the world to me today michelle.

i have never thought about the image of a bird when i have needed self care and rest, but i have imagined huge, kind, strong women who can fly, taking me up into the sky on their backs. that probably sounds strange, but it's true.

we all need to be cared for. we all need space to build our strength, however we imagine that space might look like. your words speak to my heart and spirit.

xojennifer

9:51 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

A perfect picture!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

This is so beautiful. It fills my chest with the feeling!

:)

10:13 AM  
Blogger Ali la Loca said...

I wish for you the healing of your wings. I wish for me the healing of mine, although I don't admit much that they still need a good heal.

Beautiful words.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

you are the sweetest song bird! Your poem sings to every heart!

12:44 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

...stunning words, stunning photograph. You are one amazing woman. Loved this!
a.

1:15 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

oh yes. these are the words i said out loud when i finished reading these words. beautiful. so very beautiful.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home