Thursday, May 11, 2006

Poetry Thursday - An Author and a Poet


One of my favorite authors is also a beautiful and thought provoking poet. Here are a handful from Alice Walker.

I Can Worship You

I can worship
You
But I cannot give
You everything

If you cannot
Adore
This body.

If you cannot
Put your lips
To my
Clear water.

If you cannot
Rub bellies
With
My Sun.


Grace

Grace
Gives me a day
Too beautiful
I had thought
To stay indoors
& yet
Washing my dishes
Straightening
My shelves
Finally
Throwing out
The wilted
Onions
Shrunken garlic
Cloves
I discover
I am happy
To be inside
Looking out.
This, I think,
Is wealth.
Just this choosing
Of how
A beautiful day
Is spent.

What Will Save Us

The restoration to the cow
Of her dignity.

The restoration to the pig
Of his intelligence.

The restoration to the child
of her sacredness.

The restoration to the woman
Of her will.

The restoration to the man
Of his tenderness.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Neil said...

Although I've read her fiction, I'm not familiar with her poetry at all. I'd like to read more.

And happy-b-day!

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Trinity Wells said...

Lovely site and ideals!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home