Friday, May 19, 2006

Grateful Friday - Recapping the Birthday Goodness


It's been a fab-fab-fabulous week. First of all, when I woke up Monday morning a miracle of God occurred. My hair actually did what I wanted it to do. It was one of the best hair days ever. It was as if the hair fairies knew it was my birthday week and they were sending their blessings. I can't say much for the rest of the week but starting the week off with a good hair day always sets a positive mood for the rest of the week. On Tuesday I had my annual physical exam. Now I know annual exams aren't really something to be grateful for and yes mine did suck but I'm still grateful that it's over and done with for another year. Wednesday there were many wishes for a very happy birthday and several baskets of chips served with plenty of salsa and queso. What more could a girl want? Oh and let's not forget another intense episode of Lost. Thursday Britton spent the night with his grandmother which meant I got to spend my evening planted on the couch watching the finale of Will and Grace (in the joy of childless silence) while eating a slice of my very favorite key lime pie. And finally, tonight Trey and I went out for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants where I had a delicious salad with some kind of fabulous orange dressing followed by a hearty serving of Eggplant Parmesan. And I have leftovers! We just wrapped up the movie Layer Cake which was really, really good--great use of film angles and editing. It also has an awesome soundtrack.

This week also happens to be the birthday week of my friend/co-worker Kelly. To celebrate the glorious occasion she and I decided to play Oprah. Everyday this week we brought each other some of our favorite things. Of course we don't have Oprah's connections or her salary so it was just small, inexpensive gifts like lip gloss, office supplies, candles, snacks, etc. It was so much fun to share some of my very favorite things with someone else and to be introduced to some of her favorite things.

And this post wouldn't be complete without sharing with you some of the goodies I received...

*Trey's dad sent me a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble which is only my favorite place in the world. Normally I would try to get the most out of my money by purchasing as many lower priced items as possible. I decided not to do that this time and instead purchased three books from the higher end of the price scale ($25 being way too high for my budget--I work for the state after all). I chose this biography about Frida Kahlo, this pick from my wish list, and a book of poetry by Jane Kenyon.
*Kelly gave me a fabulous Wonder Woman vintage t-shirt...self portraits in said fabulous t-shirt to come
*Tonight Trey and Britton gave me a tripod which I'm just dying to try out.
*Our delicious meal tonight was purchased with a gift card I received from a co-worker.
*I received so, so, so many other wonderful things that I can't possibly list them all.
*And I still have one special gift making itself to me. Deb, I think you'll appreciate this story. You may remember that Trey's grandmother passed away in December. She was a quilter among other things and when Tricia (Trey's mom) was cleaning out the house she discovered the quilt Mamaw had been working on prior to her death. Nobody knows what/who she was making it for but Tricia believed that because of the size, the pattern, and the beautiful pastel colors that it must have been for something/someone special. Tricia took it to a quilt shop to have it finished and guess who gets to be the lucky recipient of this treasure?!?! ME!!! When Tricia told me I could feel my eyes well up. I'm so honored to have one of Mamaw's pieces and it will be something I can pass on to Britton one day.

11 Comments:

Blogger deirdre said...

It sounds like you had a great birthday. As it should be. And more good hair days ahead! I hope we get to see a picture of the quilt.

10:54 PM  
Blogger twistedsoda said...

Happy Hair day today! I get one of those only once a year! hehe. Looks like you got the big haul this year! You lucky girl!!!

1:09 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Fantastic gifts and just perfect for YOU! How exciting about the quilt. I have a few older/antique ones that I treasure and will pass down too!
You sound so happy, it does my heart good!
a.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

This whole post just made me all weepily happy. What a wonderful birthday week! And YAY about the quilt!! What a treasure! You'll share a photo when you get it, won't you?

I want to hear more about this self-portrait too. Is that Trey's sunglasses serving as your mirror?

7:51 AM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

michelle, nice birthday week recap! you and your beautiful creative spirit are something to celebrate! i'm so glad i've met you.i'm blowing pink, kiss-filled bubbles into the sky as a fine finale for your birthday week! cheers!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Sorry I'm late to the 'party' (it's been a crazy week)...but huge Happy Birthday wishes to you, Michelle!

11:40 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

What a nice ending to your birthday week! I hope your weekend is lovely, with many tripod-inspiring moments.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

Glad you enjoyed such an awesome birthday week! Hope the year to come is just as amazing!

1:29 PM  
Anonymous samantha said...

Yay yay YAY for your birthday week being so fabulous. I really like the idea of "playing Oprah" - that could be such fun! And another big WHOOP for Eat, Pray, Love. You may not be able to sleep, it is that good, and you just want to follow this woman and her generous, funny self wherever she goes. Right to the end of the book.

7:58 PM  
Blogger lela said...

this photo is awesome!!!

7:02 PM  
Anonymous amy said...

Happy end to a wonderful birthday week! This was my birthday week as well, it is comforting to know I am in such fantastic company.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home