Monday, May 08, 2006

An Experiment


The color is back but the comments are off. For this week's challenge I have decided to turn off the comments. When I initially began this blog nobody read it. I wrote everyday just for myself. Eventually I picked up a few readers and once I joined the Self Portrait Tuesday group my readers increased, as did the comments. I'll be the first to admit that I love comments. I love receiving them and I love leaving them. Comments are a little way of knowing I am seen and heard as well as being a way I can encourage others along their life journey. But I'll also be the first to admit that sometimes I like the comments a little too much. I love reading the responses of others. I love the feedback. I love knowing how my thoughts and words have impacted others. But for a change I want to come back to the days when I would write everyday not expecting any comments. I want to know what a week without comments will feel like. I want to know how I will respond to writing without the possibility of receiving any feedback besides my own thoughts, feelings, doubts, and assurances. I just wanna know what it would be like, if I can go back, if I can write for nobody else but myself. I want to see if I can let go of any hopes and expectations. I want to know what it will be like to put myself out there without the opinions and encouragement of others. It ought to be an interesting little experiment.

Also, I've added some new shots to my Book of Dreams flickr account. You can view the new creations here. This week's technique was layers. I wasn't quite as good at putting together the layers as I was at putting together the pockets. The first layered page I made I hated so much that I ripped it out and started over. Once I stopped trying to put SO much on the page I liked the results a whole lot better. And again I let the poetry of Mary Oliver come alive through vintage photographs, pretty papers, ribbon, fabrics, and paint. I also discovered Modge Podge. I love the stuff! It's a wonderful consistency that is very user friendly and it leaves a lovely glossy finish when used as a sealant. I spent the weekend peeling the stuff off my fingers. It reminded me of being in elementary school when friends and I used to slather Elmers all over our hands then peel it off once it had dried. Fun times!

PS-I'll still be around leaving comments and if any of you need to get in touch for whatever reason there's still e-mail. The comments will be back on next Monday night...just in time for my birthday week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home