Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Big Day and The Answers

Happy Birthday to Me!!

It's been a wonderful day and I'm so grateful for all the birthday wishes. Thank you, thank you, thank you! My heart is overflowing.

Now...on with the answers to your questions. I'll be honest I wasn't expecting so many questions that would make me think so hard. They have been truly amazing questions, so amazing that I know I won't be able to answer them all tonight. There are some that are going to take a day or so to mull over. This post will have to be part one of a two part (at least) series. So here's what I got for ya tonight...

Kim G. asked if I could have lunch with anyone for my birthday (other than Britton) who would it be and why?

I'm going to go with my first reaction to this question and say my friend Donita. Donita is a friend I met through the chaplaincy program. She has the biggest spirit of anyone I've ever had the privilege of knowing. When I think of Dot (as we like to call her), SARK comes to mind. She has that kind of overwhelmingly generous, sensitive, and beautiful nature. I lost contact with Dot about 3 years ago. I don't know where she is or what she's doing. I miss her terribly. I'd love to have a chance to sit with her, laugh, catch up, and simply enjoy each other's presence.

Mindy asked what special plans I've made to celebrate.

There'll be more on that tomorrow. I had a little birthday project in the works and I'll tell you all about that tomorrow. In addition, I woke up early, got myself all fixed up, shared cupcakes in bed with the B-Dog (there's still chocolate crumbs everywhere), tried my best to enjoy my busy and hectic day at work, joined Trey's parents for a wonderful birthday dinner (Mexican food--yum!), and then spent the Barnes and Noble gift certificate I received from Trey's dad. You can never go wrong with a little B&N. Oh yes, and I did watch Lost--or at least part of it--my VCR cut off the last few minutes...UGH!!!

Snowsparkle wants to know if Britton ever walks around in my shoes and if so, which ones?

Oh yes, he loves the heels. Anything that clacks when he walks. I think his favorite pair is my sexy brick red heals (they happen to be one of my favorite pairs too--he's got good taste!). He especially loves to put them on then kick his leg to see how high he can make them fly. He thinks that's hysterical.

Elle wants to know where I got the name Britton and what made me decide to give that name to my baby boy?

Well, when I was pregnant I started accumulating a list of names I liked. I would read them over and over to my friend Irma whittling them down one by one. Every time I pictured my son in my mind (taking his first steps, screaming his head off in his car seat, sleeping snug in his crib) the name Britton kept coming to mind. My brother had a friend in high school whose last name was Britton and I guess that's where I got it. Britton was the name that always seemed to rise to the surface and it just stuck. Blake is his middle name. I told my oldest nephew that if I had a boy I'd like to name him after him. His name is Kyler Blake.

Megg wants to know what would be the best birthday present I could possibly get (a THING.)

Does a trip to Paris count?

Thea wants to know why I don't go by my first name and what I like to have for breakfast?

As for the name question---I don't know. I guess that was a decision my parents made and I never asked them why. I always assumed it was because my mom went by that name and they didn't want two people in the house with the same name. I will say it's very confusing and I never know how to sign official documents. And by the way, my social security card is just Michelle Ensminger.

As for question two--my favorite breakfast treat would be a huge, stuffed to the edges, omelet. I'm not a big sweets eater anyway so I don't ever eat donuts or any other kind of pastries. Most of the time (since I'm usually pressed for time) I opt for a bowl of granola with soy milk, peanut butter on toast, a bowl of brown rice or a fiber/protein shake. They aren't my FAVORITE choices but they're manageable.

She also wanted to know about my contact usage.

I'll be quite honest with you, I hated them so much I only gave them a month or two. My eyes were always so dry that I had very blurred vision. I couldn't stand that. All day long I was having to add eye drops and that just got annoying. I complained to my doctor and she said it could be because I was breast feeding (Britton was a new born at the time). I've just never tried them again.

Mayseeklife wanted to know if I know how much my writings are a source of contemplation(therefore gifting her/you) and if I know how appreciated my efforts are? And she hoped I was answering YES.

Well my friend I couldn't answer yes because I was choking back the tears. Thank you so much for that encouragement. I'm terrible at selling myself short and I often need to be reminded of my strengths and gifts. Thank you for this birthday blessing.

EEEKat wants to know if I'll ever get married again.

My first reaction is no but I guess you should never say never. Life is full of surprises... Who knows...

Maggiegracecreates wants to know why women always want to change something about our hair?

Beats me! I've been surprised by how many of you thought I already had red hair. There is some red in it but it's mostly brown.

Toni wants to know what I eat with my salsa?

I think the proper question is what DON'T I eat with salsa. In fact sometimes I just eat it with a spoon...heehee... I like it on just about everything--scrambled eggs or omelets, brown rice, chips, tortillas, salad, roasted vegetables, Gardenburgers, black beans, black eyed peas, any kind of potatoes, I could go on and on... You name it I can probably find a way to work in a little salsa. I've never thought about it like this but I think salsa may be my chocolate...and my butter...and my salt...and my sugar...and my coffee...and my...well, you get the picture.

She also wants to know why Britton and I will never have the same last name?

He has his dad's last name. I know I can fill out the proper paperwork and change that but I probably never will especially now that he knows himself with this last name. He'll always have his dad's last name and I'll always have my last name. Even if I ever get married again I don't know that I'll change my last name. I've gotten pretty used to being Michelle Ensminger (even though it is a hell of a last name to try and pronounce). Of course, like I said, I guess I should never say never.

Kamsin wants to know what my favorite kind of cheese is?

Oh I can not even answer that. I tend to go in phases and get really stuck on one cheese and then eventually I'll move on to another one. Right now I happen to be in love with pepper jack. I've even been known to enjoy a good stilton and brie. I like sharp, strong cheeses. But if I just had to pick one cheese to live off of the rest of my life (oh god I hope I never had to do that!) I'd probably go with swiss.

She also wants to know if I could do one thing to make my life just a little bit better by this time next year, what would I do/ see/ make/ be?

This question is just too good so I'm saving it for later (and it ties in perfectly with the journaling I did today).

I'm also saving Lee's, Josephine's, Ali La Loca's and Susannah's questions.

Debr wants to know about my favorite salsa.

Right now I'm stuck on a locally made brand called Santa Fe.

Jo wants to know if I'd rather be a bird or a monkey.

I'd have to go with a bird but that's ironic because I'm not scared of monkeys and I do have a little bit of a fear of birds. I don't know if fear is the right word. Let's just say I'd own a monkey and pet a monkey and I don't think I could ever own a bird or pet a bird. There's something about their flighty, fragile, feathered bodies that kind of freaks me out. But lately I've really been resonating with birds so I have to choose bird for my answer.


Whew! That was long...but fun.

In parting let me say Thanks again for all the birthday wishes!! You have really blessed me today.

Oh and if you're wondering why I haven't been around to leave you any comments lately it's because my life has been so crazy that I haven't had a chance to read blogs since last Thursday. That's been a week!!! It's about to kill me. Work has been nuts which means not extra time there and because work's been nuts I've been coming home completely exhausted, not wanting to do anything but lay on the couch and watch tv...especially the 3 hour finally of Grey's Anatomy. I hope everything calms down soon because I feel so disconnected from everyone. I actually tried to read a few today but I only made it through the A's, the W's, and the C's. Why those letters? Well, there is a method to my madness but I don't want to take the time to explain it. I'm so far behind that once I do get to read blogs again I'm not going to get to read any back posts so if anything huge has been happening in your life and I've missed it please let me know!!!

Is it after midnight? Holy crap! I'm never going to wake up in the morning...

33 Comments:

Blogger ♥ joleen ♥ said...

so much fabulous-ness to read about you. i hope you add this photograph to flickr so i can "favorite" it. :)

10:43 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

What great fun questions -- glad you did that! The monkey/bird decision is a hard one! How to choose? And I absolutely agree with your choice of an ideal birthday present. Happy birthday!!!

11:10 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

michelle, i'll be wearing pink today in honor of your birthday!
xxxooo- snowsparkle

11:15 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

ps i love that britton choses your favorite shoes to walk in... my son used to do the same! he borrowed and wore some pair of my shoes as part of his costume in every play he's performed and many halloween costumes. his austin powers costume was the best! cheers!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Happy Birthday, Happy Happy Birthday, Happy Happiest Birthday To YOU, falalala....

2:43 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

yay for a happy birthday!
and wow for the questions
and interesting answers!

hope things settle down for you soon!
oh...
and watch your mailbox
:)
heh
(i so suck at secrets!)

3:24 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

LOVE the answers to the questions and wish I'd thought of something to ask. (=
Your picture is pretty and I'm jealous that you don't have a sweet tooth, pfft!

4:39 AM  
Blogger techa said...

Happy Birthday
Feliz Aniversário (in portugese)

A wonderful day full of smiles

Nat

4:45 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

What? I didn't know we were allowed to ask questions...damn, I had so many. Ok, well most of them were just answered.
Happy Birthday sweet Michelle! I hope you had/have an amazing day!
a.

5:55 AM  
Blogger my pink sky said...

loved the question and answer format...so fun to read your responses! will be waiting to hear the rest...have a blissful day :)
~mindy

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Charmaine said...

Happy Birthday! I love the picture, and those cupcakes look very yummy.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have an awesome day!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

happy birthday michelle!!!! have a fab day! ....on the question...i know i miss alot, but i am confused...i thought u were married?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

So glad you had a great birthday and thanks for answering all the questions! That was so fun!

I too am exhausted from watching Greys this week! :) Have you ever read the writers' blog for the show? It's so fun to read the stories behind the stories.
http://www.greyswriters.com/

Hope work gets more manageable soon. Take care!

8:49 AM  
Blogger *aimee* said...

I seem to be a bit delayed but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to wish you a wonderful birthday week!!! I hope you enjoyed your day. Here's to many more years of joy, peace, and good health.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Irene said...

happy, happy birthday!!!

9:14 AM  
Blogger M said...

Happy Birthday! many happy returns! Love the question and answer period, what insight into your wonderful life.
Enjoy every second of today!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

It sounds like you had a great birthday and i LOVED reading the answers to all the questions. Can't wait to read the answers to the ones you saved to think about! (BTW, I think that "ask me a question" idea makes a fabulous birthday post and I'd love to use it if you don't mind and IF I can remember it for nearly a year until my next birthday!)

Love the photo of you!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are living it up good! What a perfect 33rd birthday celebration-- I hope the year ahead is sweeter with each passing day.

~bluepoppy

10:07 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

This post of the bestest ever!

Love the photo!

Love the questions and the answers even more.

Great breakfast's. I too like the pb on toast.

I am afraid I may be on the same path with the contacts but I am going to try a little longer.

Happy Birthday again!

Hugs

10:14 AM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

We should all vote this as the best "meme" EVER!! Let your readers ask the questions, and then have the courage and joy in answering them!
Michelle, you are a step ahead and showing us the way!
Happy Birthday !!

11:16 AM  
Blogger ArtsyMama said...

Oh my gosh, I didn't get around to posting on your actual birthday. ugh!! HAPPY BE-LATED BIRTHDAY!!!! Yay...hope you had a great day. Hugs my dear blogging friend. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself with us and for being so real!!! May 33 be your best year yet:)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Knit Chick said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

11:59 AM  
Blogger lela said...

happy happy day!
xoxoxo

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

I have a question...what is your occupation? The reason I asked is because I'm so amazed to know that you have a three-year old child and all this free time.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love all your anserwers, so interesting. Yea sometimes it's hard to find time to blog. Lately i've been slowing down a little too, to much other stuff going on. Happy Birthday, I love that you and my Husband have the same b-day. We are the same age now 33. Have a happy year!!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Glamorous Jo said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! Love the answers.....

3:53 PM  
Anonymous wendy said...

happy happy happy birthday!!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Misty Mawn said...

HAPPY ....HAPPY....Happy ....and a BIG happy birthday to you!!! xoxoxo

6:12 PM  
Blogger dani said...

oh no i missed it!
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELLE!!!!!
Yeah, you're a taurean too!

My question is:

How do you say everything so well, how do turn your experiences into amazing insights for us all to share?

Huge hugs to you
dani

9:17 PM  
Blogger Bohemian Girl said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful.

9:27 AM  
Blogger twistedsoda said...

Happy Happy day to you, my sweet inspiring beauty!

1:07 AM  
Blogger --erica said...

happy happy birthday.. even a week late! It's birthday MONTH right:)
(we're the same age but i'll be 34 in sept!)

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home