Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sunday Scribblings {Why I Live Where I Live}


I've lived in the same town since I was a child. With a population of just under 200,00 it has all the conveniences of a city, but with a small town feel. Famous people from my hometown include Buddy Holly (rock legend), Natalie Maines (the Dixie Chicks), Mac Davis (singer and songwriter), Craig Ehlo (basketball great), Glenna Goodacre (artist), and her daughter Jill Goodacre (model and wife of Harry Connick Jr.) It's a dot on the map right in the middle of West Texas. This is where I belong. It's where my roots are. It has it's faults--it's very conservative, very red, very close-minded, and doesn't offer much in the way of cultural opportunities. Sometimes it can be a bit suffocating, especially for an unwed mother living with her son's father. But I choose to live here because everything I love most in this world is right here. And if it's not within a few blocks, then it's just a couple hours drive away. My family is here, my support system, my strength, my roots, my love, my heart. And I love this place for all those reasons.

Someday it may be time to leave. Someday it may be time to spread my wings, to try and stand on my own. Someday I may have to sample life without the support of my family. Someday that day may come. But for right now this is right where I need to be. I need the strong arms around me. I need to know that if I need anything help is just a phone call away. I need Britton to grow up with his grandparents, with his great-grandparents, with is aunts, his uncles, his cousins. I need the strength of family.

It's windy, it's dusty, it's hot, there are more tumbleweeds than trees, there are cotton fields instead of oceans and streams, but there is a beauty here, a beauty I love, that I'm connected to, that I'm not ready to leave yet. It's a beauty I want to share with my son.

And just so you'll know, in Texas we don't ride horses to work, we don't all where cowboy boots, we don't all like country music, and we don't all vote Republican...just so you'll know...

22 Comments:

Blogger Bohemian Girl said...

but y'all make the best damn BBQ!!

i lived in Dallas for about 4 years. reading your words filled me with warmth and brought back good memories.

go liberal southern girl!!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

I think it is great that you know just where you need to be at this time in your life. I co-wrote a screenplay set in West Texas. I hope one day I'll be standing amongst the tumbleweeds and my friend Loretta will be calling "action". If it happens I'll be sure to invite you to set.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

With all the characteristics that might be considered drawbacks, I loved living in your Lubbock (on 93rd, off Slide). We found the people to be so welcoming, and I'm so glad I got to take Bethany to first grade and beyond in such a wonderful place. The reasons your heart is there, the reasons you stay, the reasons you are sustained are all worth more than any fortune you might find anywhere else.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I liked reading about where you choose to live.

And I love the photo!

And FWIW, I'm not from Texas, but I think everyone should have a pair of cowboy boots in their closet. ;-)

10:36 PM  
Blogger twistedsoda said...

Yes and every Texan I know has a heart of gold, especially yours!

11:39 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

ahhhhhh...i love this
and i can so relate to it...
it may be different areas
but similar sentiments for sure!
:)

its funny that i just finished
writing my sunday scribbles
and then came and read yours
and saw how the vein running through
both is very much the same...
:)

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Charmaine said...

I would love to be able to ride a horse to work. Wouldn't that be the coolest!

6:40 AM  
Blogger lovegreendog said...

i really enjoyed these words, and the Texas myths...haha

7:51 AM  
Blogger Pixie said...

I hear ya! I grew up in Monahans (you'll only know where that is if you're from West texas). It was beautiful and exhausting. :)

8:58 AM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

"It's windy, it's dusty, it's hot, there are more tumbleweeds than trees, there are cotton fields instead of oceans and streams, but there is a beauty here, a beauty I love, that I'm connected to, that I'm not ready to leave yet."
I loved that description!
I could see it and see you standing strong and smiling with your arms wide open!

10:06 AM  
Blogger M said...

This sounds like a very interesting place! Being near your family is such a gift, but like you said- someday you may need to fly alone! Thanks for sharing!!

10:17 AM  
Blogger kerry said...

i just love checking your blog. i was one of those blessed kids who got to grow up with extended family around... i hope your son is nourished by it too.
could you explain to me how to create a banner on a blogger account?
thanks!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Sounds like more than enough to me!!

11:59 AM  
Blogger baylor said...

I was just thinking about a similar thing this weekend. I feel the same way about my hometown and hope that one day I can get back there.

xoxo

12:35 PM  
Blogger Ali la Loca said...

Hi, I came to your blog via Telfair.

I am from New Mexico and grew up in Albuquerque and a small town in the Rio Grande valley south of the city called Adelino. Many times we drove through Lubbock on our way west on I-40.

From what I can tell, you are JUST the kind of person that city needs more of! :)

I lived in Austin for almost 2 years, where it is easy to be liberal and live in Texas. I can imagine that it is more of a challenge somewhere like Lubbock, but that only makes it all the more important.

12:51 PM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I love Texas, even have a yellow rose tattooed on my inner ankle. I loved your story, esp. the ending. (=

2:16 PM  
Blogger Mardougrrl said...

Austin is one of my favorite places where I have lived! I have a framed Texas flag. :)

And you made me miss my family so, so much. I fear I am depriving Madam of really knowing them.

2:21 PM  
Blogger dani said...

the extended family is such a precious thing. i really do believe in parenting being shared by as many people who love a child as possible. lots of aunties & uncles, but the grandparent figures provide the depth and belonging that cements a child's place in the world. you're lucky!!!

now let's see your texas please! i want to soak up as much as possible please!!!!

3:27 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Heehee, love your last paragraph. Funny how we assume so much based on where a person lives.
Great SS!
a.

5:15 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

It's good that you're happy where you are and finding strength in your family being around you. I visited West Texas once and was struck by how similar it is to the Middle East, in terms of desert and climate------but really beautiful! Texas is a world unto itself. Lovely post.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

There's nothing wrong with being happy where you are!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

I miss it! The politics can be cloying. I miss the tumbleweeds, brush, mesquite trees, big starry nights and loud thunderous storms, dust storms, the smell of horse manure mixed with arena dirt.

Hey, do they still have that roping at Post? I went every year for so many years. And my mom dated a man who owned a western store there.

You really really need to come visit a blue state, please come visit, you would be a breath of fresh air, and you would love Seattle. Stay here and have my mom cook for you ')

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home