Tuesday, April 25, 2006

SPT {April Fool-4}


This past Sunday I decided to take a walk downtown and fool around with my camera. I must admit that since my new baby has come into my life I've been a little frustrated with it. It may be more complicated than this amateur photographer had anticipated. My pics aren't coming out quite the way I want them too. Every time I see the divine Mizz Kim's photos I want to fly her down here to give me a few lessons and help me set up a mini-studio. Just take a little looksie here, here, and here...oh yeah, and here...hell you might as well just go straight to her flickr account. And all these have just been within the last week. *sigh* But I know part of my frustration is stemming from lack of familiarity. I had four wonderful years with my previous camera whereas I've only had a few weeks with this one. It takes time and practice...and patience. I've decided to designate Sunday afternoons as "photo excursion time" in order to put myself in the position of using my camera more than I currently am. I was more pleased with the outcome of my pics from Sunday than I have been with any so far. I'm still struggling to get my image straight and there are some other features that I haven't mastered yet (like how you force the damn thing to flash when you want it to--even if it insists there is enough light and you don't need any more.) Once I've conquered the auto setting I might find the courage to try a little manual action. Trey gave me a photography book (quite a nice one I might add) for Valentines Day but I don't feel like I've learned a whole lot from it. I think I have finally grasped the concept of shutter speed and aperture but I haven't progressed much further from there. I don't know how many times Trey has tried to explain ISO speed to me and I still can't get it. Sure I can repeat his words and definition but I can't really get the idea to sink in. Oh well... It felt good to meander up and down the quiet streets with my camera around my neck. I sensed a kind of joy that some of my favorite photo bloggers, like Andrea, Jen, Topleftpixle, and Chromasia, must feel when they are on the prowl for their masterpieces. I don't know that I captured any masterpieces but I did get some I was very pleased with (see yesterday's pic) and you'll probably be getting a glimpse of some of my favorites over the next few days and weeks.

*the collages above and below are some of Sunday's pics including a few of my reflection captured in different glass surfaces.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Nicole said...

hmmm... I think these look pretty darn good! I am always complaining that my point and shoot digital camera doesn't do what I want it to, but now you're making me a little nervous about a big girl camera!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I like the one of Jesus in the window. Yea when I read my manuel to our camera, I have to read it real slow, it's like in a different language or something.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

Michelle
You are so kind! I love the digital age because I can take so many, run in, download them, see if any of them turned out and run back to re-do them ;) I think your images are wonderful! But, anyway, get on a plane and come see me and we can have foto-fun! Kim

8:38 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

hi michelle, i love that you bound forward into the unknown with your new camera so fearlessly. and your vision comes through even if you feel there are technology gaps to solve. btw... do you have photoshop? if so, i have some handy tips that might help out in some images. thanks for sharing your adventures.

9:25 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:25 PM  
Blogger lela said...

oh my! i can't keep up with you!
i admire how dedicated you are to writing here.
i think you got some great shots

9:47 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

you are on the right track...
i love the photo-hidden-within-photo
reflection idea...
:)

5:14 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

you'll get it...it took me awhile and still need to work on non-manual settings. my dad has mine
at the moment. i am so afraid he
is going to break it! i am trying to be patient, but i am hoping he brings it back soon. i miss her!

5:39 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

You are too hard on yourself, you take great photographs! I always love your photo's and your writing :)

That chalkboard and the one of you across the street are great :)

6:07 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Yeah, you're being a bit hard on yourself.
But that just means you care about the results.
And that's not a bad thing, is it?

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Charmaine said...

Ugh. I've put off buying a nice digital camera for a year or so now because I'm worried about exactly what you're talking about. I just really like my old film camera, but the instant results you get with a digital camera are definitely worth something.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I think you're doing very well with the camera. It can be frustrating to learn new quirks when you've been used to a comfortable old friend, but you'll get there.

I love these two collages.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Those photos are great! I'm kind of intimidated by photography too, but have been thinking about taking a class. However, I imagine classes are probably mostly with non-digital cameras? Or maybe not -- there's been such a digital shift, there must be a class. You'll figure it all out, and in the meantime, your pics are great.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer (she said) said...

i really like the texture you captured in some of your photos, and the idea of collaging them is a good one. i took a photography class when studying graphic design (a short lived thing) and i am no expert with any camera. but i do know when i'm rusty but try i improve eventually. i get rusty often because i go through phases with photography. you'll learn. you'll figure it out. i have faith in your ability to do this ;-)

9:49 AM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

i think you are doing great...really! and my problem with my "baby" is that it wants to use the flash when I don't want it to. I don't know how to make it NOT use the flash. So funny...
I love your idea of taking time each week to practice...artist dates every weekend...

9:52 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

I always love the picture that you include with your words. The problem is, your eye is so acute, you can't capture all you see. But what you are sharing is absolutely wonderful. Don't stop; bring us more.

10:39 AM  
Blogger mati rose said...

seems like you must have had fun taking these pics! i love getting a sense of your town and what you see:) keep sharing these please!

12:49 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I think your doing a fantastic job with your new toy. These are really great shots!
a.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Misty Mawn said...

WOW...your pictures are always so beautiful....ever think about a coffee table book! It sure would be a beautiful one! I'd buy it!
xo

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home