Saturday, April 22, 2006

poetry thursday on saturday


friday when i checked the mail i not only found my next round of netflix movies to view over the weekend but i also received a check from the utility company for an overpayment i made almost a year ago. you know what that means--a trip to barnes & noble. you can't really blame me. i've been fishing for a reason to purchase a new book or two. after reading about liz's recent excursion to powell's and all the fabulous books she picked up i was really aching for my own little book binge. so this unexpected check came at just the right time. tonight i took myself to b&n, curled up in a chair with about 25 poetry books, and came home with three that really spoke to my heart. tonight i give you a short poem from each of the three books.


This Is Just To Say
William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


Once
Sharon Olds

I saw my father naked, once, I
opened the blue bathroom's door
which he always locked--if it opened, it was empty--
and there, surrounded by glistening turquoise
tile, sitting on the toilet, was my father,
all of him, and all of him
was skin. In an instant, my gaze ran
in a single, swerving, unimpeded
swoop, up: toe, ankle,
knee, hip, rib, nape,
shoulder, elbow, wrist, knuckle,
my father. He looked so unprotected,
so seamless, and shy, like a girl on a toilet,
and even though I knew he was sitting
to shit, there was no shame in that
but even a human peace. He looked up,
I said Sorry, backed out, shut the door
but I'd seen him, my father a shorn lamb,
my father a cloud in the blue sky
of the blue bathroom, my eye had driven
up the hairpin mountain road of the
naked male, I had turned a corner
and found his flank unguarded--gentle
bulge of the hip-joint, border of the pelvic cradle.


The Fish
Mary Oliver

The first fish
I ever caught
would not lie down
quiet in the pail
but flailed and sucked
at the burning
amazement of the air
and died
in the slow pouring off
of rainbows. Later
I opened his body and separated
the flesh from the bones
and ate him. Now the sea
is in me: I am the fish, the fish
glitters in me; we are
risen, tangled together, certain to fall
back to the sea. Out of pain,
and pain, and more pain
we feed this feverish plot, we are nourished
by the mystery.

13 Comments:

Blogger Josephine said...

Mmmm...precisely what was needed right now, at 432AM. Thank you.

1:34 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

ahhhhhh...
new books...
sigh.

these were great choices,
i have always loved the
william carlos williams one
and the other two
i had not read before
but were so intiguing...

:)

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Beansprout said...

These are all wonderful. Glad you received an unexpected surprise in the mail. Those are always the best. As Miss GoGo says in her Sunday Scribbling this week: "Score!"

4:39 AM  
Blogger megg said...

three poets I love dearly! I especially love the one about the plums in the icebox. It makes me feel happy for some reason. I suppose it should it is about pure pleasure!

P.S. I'm jealous of your trip to B&N... I may have to excurse!! (is that a word?)

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Shannon (Sentimental) said...

Sharon Olds is one of my favorites. She can rock a poem and I am so jealous of your trip but I did spend about three hours at the bookstore yesterday locally. So I can't say much!

5:34 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Oooh, a windfall to spend on books! Now that's a Good Day!

6:15 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I really love Sharon Olds and must buy one of her books. I also like Mary Oliver.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Love them all. I'm particularly touched by Oliver's...it conjured up images of my brother when his livelihood was made fishing on the open sea...

7:40 AM  
Blogger Bohemian Girl said...

mmm...such good stuff.

i read that Fish poem at a writing class in San Francisco years ago. it became the source of so much inspiration for the group.

the Father poem was shocking and cool all in one.

the plum one was adorable and put a smile on my face.

bravo for good choices!!! xoxoxo

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MICHELLE I JUST GOT HOME AND STARTED TO READ YOUR BLOGGER. YOU SHOULD HAVE TALK TO ME SAT. WHEN WE HAD THE PICNIC. DO YOU NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE TALKING TO ME. I HOPE I DO NOT MAKE YOU FEEL THIS WAY. OF ALL PEOPLE IN THE FAMILY YOU CAN TALK TO IT IS ME. I HAVE BEEN WHERE YOU ARE AND STILL AM. I TRIED TO KILL MYSELF HOW MUCH MORE DEPRESSED CAN ONE GET? I FELT LIKE I WAS A LOOSER IF I TOOK MEDICATION FOR MY DEPRESSION. I GOT OVER THAT I KNOW NOW I AM WORTH IT TO BE HAPPY SO I TAKE MY MEDICATION. WHO CARES WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK. IT HAS MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH FOR ME. SO I SAY TO YOU PLEASE TAKE THIS IT IS NOT OUR FAUGHT WE HAVE THIS DISEASE. AND THAT IS WHAT IT IS. IF YOU HAD HIGH B/P OR HEART TROUBLE MOST PEOPLE WOULD NOT THINK TWICE ABOUT TAKING MEDICATION. IN THE DR. HANDBOOK DEPRESSION IS NOW IN A GROUP OF OTHER CONDITIONS CALLED DIEASES. I STILL HAVE MY BAD AND GOOD DAYS BUT NOW ITS MORE GOOD THEN BAD. WE ALL LOVE AND NEED YOU. IT SUCH A SHAME WE DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE TALKING TO FAMILY MEMBERS ABOUT THIS BUT FEEL OK TO TALK TO TOLAL STRANGERS. WHAT HAS HAPPEN TO US? I KNOW WE ALL LOVE EACH OTHER WE NEED TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER. I AM ALWAYS HERE FOR YOU AND ANYONE ELSE IN OUR FAMILY. I THINK THAT IS WHY GOD LET ME LIVE TO HELP THE MOST PRECIOUS PERSON IN THE WORLD AND THAT IS YOU MICHELLE. I LOVE YOU BUT MOST OF ALL GOD LOVES YOU. PLEASE TAKE THE MEDICATION BEFORE YOU END UP LIKE ME. I WAS GIVEN A SECOND CHANCE AT LIFE. WE ALL NEED YOU MOST YOUR SON BRITTEN. OUR DEPRESSION HURTS US BUT IT HURTS OUR LOVE ONES EVEN MORE TO SEE US IN THIS KIND OF PAIN. I LOVE YOU MICHELLE CALL OR WRITE TO ME ANYTIME. PLEASE DO NOT FEEL LIKE YOU CAN'T TALK TO ME. THAT HURTS ME SO BAD. I AM REACHING OUT TO YOU PLEASE REACH BACK. AUNT LYNDA

4:43 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Enjoy your books girl, poped in to say hi! Have a good week!

5:41 PM  
Blogger jenny vorwaller said...

thanks for reminding me about the plums poem!! i love that one ;) and have fun shopping on blossom!

6:50 PM  
Blogger lovegreendog said...

3 wonderful poems! i have always loved WCW....

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home