Thursday, April 27, 2006

Poetry Thursday - Because Sometimes I Like My Poetry with a Side of Sarcasm


Dorothy Parker. What a life. Poet, storyteller, screenwriter, winner of the prestigious O. Henry award, Academy Award winner, and member of the legendary Algonquin Round Table. She traveled with Hemingway, befriended the Fitzgeralds, and kept company with Updike. She wrote for Vanity Fair, Vogue, and the New Yorker. Her words always had a bite of sarcasm and her quick wit made her famous, if not infamous. She lived the life of a legend, with all the glamour and all the pain, including several divorces, a string of suicide attempts, and a commitment to left wing politics resulting in being called before the House on un-American Activities. She died in 1967 from a heart attack, leaving her literary estate to the NAACP. Her sarcastic voice still endures.

Resume

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.


One Perfect Rose

A single flow'r he sent me, since we met.
All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet--
One perfect rose.

I knew the language of the floweret;
"My fragile leaves," it said, "his heart enclose."
Love long has taken for his amulet
One perfect rose.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get
One perfect rose.


Healed


Oh, when I flung my heart away,
The year was at its fall.
I saw my dear, the other day,
Beside a flowering wall:
And this was all I had to say:
"I thought that he was tall!"

24 Comments:

Blogger ESB said...

My college roommate and I had the second poem posted on our dorm room wall.....

I love DP.....One of my favorite quotes is: 'I like to have a Martini, two at the very most; three, I'm under the table, four I'm under my host!'

6:17 PM  
Anonymous susanlavonne said...

The photo is WOW and thank you for the much needed dose of DP...also love the quote that eeekat left :-) Now I know why I just stick with 2 martinis!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I adore Dorothy Parker's poetry. I'm less sure what I would have thought of her as a person,but the poetry....aaaahhh. Love that snarky voice!

6:59 PM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I love the divine Ms. Parker ~ she had such wit about her and her poetry as well as her short stories are favorites of mine. Now I'll go digging up my Parker trilogy, forgot about that, thank you for reminding me.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

She is indeed divine. There was one about a martini that I particularly loved.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

These are maaahvelous, My Dear!

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

a side of sarcasm indeed! Gotta love dorothy!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

Yum! I love a nice side of sarcasm.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

An amazing lady.

12:27 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

love the photo...
and i have always meant to read
dorothy parker...
i have a book of her poetry
and writings but have not read it
yet for some reason...
hmmmmm...
i'm going to have to go dig that out.

:)

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Shannon (Sentimental) said...

I love Dorothy, she is funny. Have you ever read slam poetry. If you like sarcasm I am quite sure you will like it. My prof was a slam poet and it was awesome seeing him in action!

5:20 AM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

excellent choices... especially "resume". just the right thing to go with my morning cup of coffee. thanks!

8:47 AM  
Blogger blackbird said...

I just adore Dorothy Parker -
and Resume is just so perfect.

I can't help it...I have to add this one

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania.

9:50 AM  
Blogger M said...

Wow, these are great! Another new poet to add to my search engine list. Hope you're feeling better!

10:08 AM  
Blogger mati rose said...

these are funny, ha!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Sky said...

great post, great fun! :)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Mardougrrl said...

Ooh, I love DP's irreverent voice! Thank you...

And I sent you an email but it bounced. Did you get a new address?

11:32 AM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

Dorothy Parker just makes me smile. Her sense of humor...well, I just wish I could invite her over for coffee and listen to her sarcastic stories for hours.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Yummyteece said...

Dorothy is my all-time favorite poet, and one of my idols.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Gorgeous photo and poems:)

4:01 PM  
Blogger harmonyinline said...

These are wonderful thanks for shareing them.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I like al of these, but I LOVE the last one. That it is s great moment, when you see someone you thought you loved, who maybe broke your heart a little... and he is so short/bald/fat etc. And then you are free! LOL.

:)

7:16 PM  
Blogger Letha Sandison said...

I love Dorthy Parker!

This made me tear up a bit as my dad introduced me to her and her fellow Algonquin club mambers. He bought me several books by her, Benchley and others of the group that are out of print. He went to every used book store in SF and Berkley I think :)

Thank you for reminding me of the books and of happy memories of my dad. I miss him!

10:12 PM  
Blogger dazey rosie said...

goodness me i needed to laugh right now - and those three did just the job. thank you hugely x

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home