Saturday, April 08, 2006

MamaSaysOm - Unusual


Dear Britt,

It's not unusual for parents to want to offer blessings to their children. They want to pass on their wisdom, their experience, their knowledge, their words, their love. They want to offer light for life's dark nights and a smooth path for life's journey. I want this as well. But I'm also learning to want more. And so I offer you this blessing, an unusual blessing:

I offer you my humanness so that you may not fear your own shadow.
I offer you my brokenness so that you may learn to live as a wounded healer.
I offer you my imperfections so that you may know what it mean to be real.
I offer you my vulnerability so that you may see how to live honestly.
I offer you my tears so that you may have a safe place to lay your broken heart.
I offer you my failures so that you may experience the beauty of forgiveness.
I offer you my inadequacies so that you may know how to rest in the imperfections.
I offer you my powerlessness so you may witness the promise of hope.
I offer you my questions so that you may feel comfortable in the places with no answers.
I offer you my struggles so that you may know the blessings of living.
I offer you my sorrow so that you may be able to sit in the pain.
I offer you my emptiness so that you may appreciate the stillness.
I offer you this unusual blessing so that you may always trust the voice within you.

Many blessings,
Mom

21 Comments:

Anonymous nikol said...

Michelle,

I love your heart, your openness, your strength, stillness, softness, shadow, pain, power, powerlessness, your woundedness and your healing, your realness, light, life, and grace...

your words inspire me in my own process, they offer strength and steadfastness in the shadowy places, truly it is an honor to know you...

pieces,
nikol

9:30 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Beautiful, honest post. Told you I wanted to see what you'd do!

9:38 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

"always trust the voice within you"... yes! a beautiful blessing.
thanks for this.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

What a great mother!

3:26 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

The picture of Britton is so great, those tulips look almost fake they are so big and beautiful! Equally beautiful are your blessings to your son. No matter what happens in the day to day Michelle, you are a great mama and Britton knows he's much loved. You both are blessed.

3:52 AM  
Anonymous krista said...

That was so incredible. I love it.

I's hard to pick a favourite line because they are all so true and wonderful.

I am printing this out and saving it. Visiting it to remind me that I am who I am for reasons, and it is enough- and my kids will learn from me even in my imperfections.

Thanks.

6:41 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

amazing connections you make
between things...
what a beautiful way of looking
at the world and ourselves...

sigh
:)

6:54 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Very wise and loving mom!

6:59 AM  
Anonymous chelle said...

Beautiful spin on the Om theme this week!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Michelle,

You should get this published. This is amazing thought. I think that most people have never thought along this grain, and it could really open people's eyes.

GET THIS PUBLISHED!!! Get this out there! This is amazing!

~Josephine

10:35 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

This is beautiful, Michelle. I hope you offer all these things to yourself as well as to Britton.

The photo is fabulous.

10:45 AM  
Blogger twistedsoda said...

he can't go wrong, you've offered him your everything!!!!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

what a beautifull boy boy! I bet you cannot stop kissing him!

11:52 AM  
Blogger art and soul said...

that is a beautiful blessing, i want to tell everyone to come here and read you eloquent words!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Beautiful, Michelle. Often we fear the flip side...you've shown here that it's not to be feared, but to be embraced.

3:31 PM  
Blogger telfair said...

I loved the post, and the beautiful picture of Britton with the gorgeous tulips!

(Also LOVED his little Beatles t-shirt!)

4:41 PM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

Sweet, sweet blessing for Britton. Wonderful offerings from an extraordinary mother.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Shannon (Sentimental) said...

You have no idea how inspiring you are to me. Beautiful!

6:45 PM  
Blogger seldom said...

thank you for this. it is very meaningful for me.

2:12 PM  
Blogger pinkcoyote said...

thank you for your honesty! this is beautiful and i want to tape it into mileses scrapbook. your words are very touching, your vulnerability exquisite.

2:23 PM  
Blogger gracie said...

You've put a lot of thought into this! It's amazing.
The wounded healer wish makes me think you must have read Nouwen??

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home