Monday, March 06, 2006

Why I Love the Oscars


It's more than the Red Carpet arrivals and the post-award interviews. It's more than the winners and the presenters. It's more than the glitz and the glamour. It's more than the jokes and the speeches and the gossip. For me the Oscars is really about celebrating friendship.

I've had many friends from the past who are no longer a part of my life. Our lives have gone in two different directions and what is left now is the gifts and the memories. But for over 10 years Cherri and I have managed to stay connected while a lot of my other friendships have slipped away. Marriage, divorce, the birth of children. A lot has happened in life that has shifted my connection with the women who were at one time the center of my life. Cherri and I have stuck together and our love of all things movie related, especially the Oscars, have kept us connected. We may only talk a few times throughout the year but once Oscar season arrives it all changes. We check in with each other regularly to see who has seen what and what they thought about it. We make Oscar party arrangements weeks in advance so that our night together is as special as possible. It's on Oscar night that a year's worth of life changes are hashed out, cried out, spilled out, and laughed about. I've never wondered who I would spend Oscar night with. I've always know exactly where I'll be and who I'll be with. Sure, even if Cherri weren't around I'd still watch. I'd sit in bed wearing my pjs and eating Chinese take out. But how much fun would that be? What makes celebrating the Oscars such an important tradition is the friendship, the connection, the laughter, and the sharing.

When we first started our Oscar parties we were both newlyweds. Since then I have divorced, we have both become parents, we have both graduated from college, her father has passed way, and we've both done a lot of growing up. Our evening with the stars looks very different than it did a decade ago. Now we listen to acceptance speeches while breastfeeding, administering asthma treatments, potty training, and breaking up sibling skirmishes. But when the kids are finally sleeping and the last award of the night has been given away we turn off the tv and focus on life, on dreams, on loves, on each other. A good movie can be a gateway for communicating the deepest fears and desires of the heart. A good awards show can be the foundation for an evening of long talks and intimate secrets. And there isn't an awards show around that does that better than the Oscars.

So you see, that is what I love the most about the Oscars.

17 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

It sounds like a wonderful way to spend Oscar night, Michelle. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of it with us.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fry said...

I hope your ocsar party was smashingly fun this year. It sure sounds great.

8:59 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

Beautiful. I love this peak into what your Oscar night was all about. I hope it was fantastic!

9:29 PM  
Blogger telfair said...

It's always great when you can spend with friends you love to be around, making your own traditions and memories.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Janine said...

I think this is a beautiful idea, I had never even thought the Oscars were worth a look, your take on it however is incredible.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Bohemian Girl said...

this sounds yummy.

i am so, so happy for you that you have this night to cherish, to solidify your friendship and make such lasting memories.

11:32 PM  
Blogger megg said...

I'm so happy for you that you have this yearly connection. I'm glad you can see how precious it is!

1:33 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

funny how
some friendships
dissolve
over time
while others
(thankfully)
evolve...

:)

4:34 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

firstly....pink pearls are SWEET!
and secondly...we all need a friend like that - yaya!

have a happy happy tuesday girlie

6:22 AM  
Blogger mayseek life said...

i love the magic of frienship..how each friend brings a uniqueness to the mix. our own openess and the element of timing also seem vital. your recounting of this friendship seems like a genuine "keeper"!

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Charmaine said...

Well said. You and Cherri are lucky to have each other, the Oscars and your tradition.

7:06 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

...that picture made my eye's dance. Beautiful photo and story.
a.

7:26 AM  
Blogger tara dawn said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate a friendship. This story is so moving and touching...thank you for sharing it. Reminds me of the beautiful evolution of friendships.
xoxo

8:15 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

That's so wonderful, I wish I had great long time connections like that.

8:40 AM  
Blogger mati rose said...

oh i feel you! i missed the oscar's this year in preparing for my show:( next year!

12:18 PM  
Blogger ArtsyMama said...

Great post. What a special friendship you have. Glad you had a good night!

1:55 PM  
Anonymous wendy said...

love this.
love the tradition.
love how some friends you can just pick up where you last left off!!
lovely story!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home