Thursday, March 09, 2006

Poetry Thursday


Just in case you haven't heard, the fabulous Liz has started a new phenomenon: Poetry Thursdays. This is a chance for all you poetry lovers to share some of your all time favorites and maybe even a little of your own word magic. And for those of you who aren't real certain about all this poetry hype, it's an opportunity to feel the love.

I myself am fairly new to the poetry scene. I always wanted to have a stronger poetry foundation but during my school days I just didn't get it. I loved the idea of poetry but I didn't understand most poems. I wanted to understand but I always seemed to miss what the poet was trying to convey. About six years ago I began to read poetry for my own enjoyment--not to analyze it, not to dissect it, just to savor it. That's when a whole new world opened. I began to hear the whispers. I began to melt into the metaphors. I began to allow myself to have a relationship with the words, the images, the line breaks, and all the pockets of silence which ask questions that have no answers . I would read one poem over and over again, not to memorize the rhythm and meter, but to feel each word in the pit of my stomach, to let it reverberate off the corners of my heart. I discovered that it just takes continual exposure and a little bit of trust. With time you'll find the poets that speak your heart's language. And the more you practice the easier it begins to settle and flow and fall into place.

This is the first time I've participated and I chose this poem/prayer by Ted Loder. I thought it was appropriate for both the return of spring and the Lenten season.

I Teeter on the Brink of Endings

O God of endings,
you promised to be with me always,
even to the end of time.

Move with me now in these occasions of last things,
of shivering vulnerabilities and letting go:
letting go of parents gone,
past gone,
friends going,
old self growing;
letting go of children grown,
needs outgrown,
prejudices ingrown,
illusions overgrown;
letting go of swollen grudges and shrunken loves.

Be with me in my end of things,
my letting go of dead things,
dead ways,
dead words,
dead self I hold so tightly,
defend so blindly,
fear losing so frantically.

I teeter on the brink of endings:
some anticipated,
some resisted,
some inevitable,
some surprising,
most painful;

and the mystery of them quiets me to awe.
In silence, Lord,
I feel now the curious blend of grief and gladness in me
over the endings that the ticking and whirling of things brings;

and I listen for your leading
to help me faithfully move on through the fear
of my time of letting go
so the timeless may take hold of me.

from Guerrillas of Grace by Ted Loder.

20 Comments:

Blogger Mardougrrl said...

You will never know how much I needed that today. Thank you. I especially loved:

"Be with me in my end of things,
my letting go of dead things,
dead ways,
dead words,
dead self I hold so tightly,
defend so blindly,
fear losing so frantically."

Because that is EXACTLY where I am at.

It's been a while since I found myself inside a poem again.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

the flower blooms before all the others, it is free to be itself and dares to risk!
That blossom says it loud and clear. Be yourself, don't wait!

10:48 PM  
Blogger megg said...

lovely poem - honest poem - heartbreaking poem. Thank you.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Thank you so much for sharing this poem. It moved me to tears. ~Maggie

12:58 AM  
Blogger Sky said...

This was so powerful and so heartfelt. Thank you for posting it. Perfect inspiration. :)

I like your words of introduction and hope they move a reader who is not familiar with poetry or who might be afraid of it to find the glorious wonder of it and begin to enjoy it.

3:08 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

wow.

so much
packed into
those words...

this is a keeper.

3:28 AM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

What a great poem to begin with. These offerings are just wonderful. I'm really enjoying seeing what has struck other Poetry Thursday participants. And your words about what poetry does for you are beautiful.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

As I read this poem my soul kept saying yes, yes, louder and louder. This was great for me to be able to experience. I too have a hard time relating to poems I have read, but strongly identify with this one.
Thank you!

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your photo-- this is a good idea-- I think I'm going to try and join in on this.

~bluepoppy

7:24 AM  
Blogger Josephine said...

Gulp.

That is a pretty fierce peice of writing. I've never come accross it before.

I'm. Speechless.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous irene said...

I love the poem. but honestly, I loved reading your words better... :)

7:45 AM  
Blogger Toryssa said...

A fantastic poem.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

That's really lovely. Great photo too.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

Wonderful poem but I'm with Irene...can't wait until you become brave enough to share your own with us all.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Turquoise CRO said...

PLEASE come over to seeeeee me today for poetry and keep inspiring!!!! Please join in and invite others!!!!

11:46 AM  
Blogger mati rose said...

this is so good, and the cherry blossom!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow, that was fantastic!!, I am exactly how your first paragraph describes, I love the idea of poetry, but don't get it a lot of times. I read this poem outloud as I read it, it was so beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us.

2:22 PM  
Blogger M said...

What a brilliant poem. I too struggled to "get" poetry, so I am going to take your advice and get some books out of the library, absorb myself without having to do a report on it. I love "and the mystery of them quiets me to awe". Maybe I'll join this craze next week! Thank you.

3:23 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Lovely words, lovely photo. Every time I come to your site I feel enveloped in prettiness.

a.

4:41 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

oh my goodness. I love this poem. thank you for introducing it to me. at first i was a little sad that i hadn't visited your blog until now so i didn't know that you had shared a poem. but now i realize that i was meant to read these words tonight. this is it. all of it. just what i needed to read this evening.
so glad you are sharing your journey into poetry with us.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home