Monday, February 20, 2006

The True and the Questions


I mentioned in this post how much I loved the opening paragraphs of Sabrina Ward Harrison's latest book, The True and the Questions. I have continued to be smitten by this lovely journal. This is one of those books I wish I had written. Unlike her previous publications, this book not only features her beautiful art and her inspiring introspection, but it provides blank pages for the reader to do a little bit of their own writing and creating. I've been able to use her open-ended, fill-in-the-blank type questions and statements as writing prompts. Because of this creative format, this isn't a book you will pick up and read in a week's time. It is something you will journey through, something to take your time reflecting upon, something to experience as opposed to just reading. And because life is always changing, it is a book you can come back to over and over again, each time discovering a little something more, a little something new and different about yourself. Below is a sample of what I've been discovering on my first journey through The True and the Questions.

I want to say yes to...

this...this life...abundance...my body...my deep and terrifying feelings...being naked under the stars...dancing and laughing...holding nothing back...courage...the now, the then, to whatever's to come...death...health...beauty and sexiness...fullness and wholeness...kisses in the dark...holding hands...the sweetness of it all...staying connected...speaking from the heart...voicing my longings...passion and dreams...exploding into a life lived out loud...showing up for this life...standing boldly and proclaiming my truth...dancing with strangers...miracles and mysteries and the whispers of the divine...blessings...the gifts of the universe...taking it all in...breathing...standing in the rain...making love...spontaniety...peace...serenity...touching the deepest places in my soul...standing up for others who have no voice or power...creating life on my own terms...friendship and community...the suprises dropped in my lap...power...singing...being...beginning again and letting go...how life wants to move me...following my spirit...change...the flow of it all...

25 Comments:

Anonymous Nicole said...

Wow. All big things worth saying yes to. The theme of the sermon at church this week was "Say Yes" and put me in a similar place. We came home and had a snowball fight, which was my way of saying yes to winter. (my least favorite season)

9:20 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

such fantastic, inspiring things to be discovering!

11:30 PM  
Anonymous irene said...

thank you for introducing us to such a wonderful book and for sharing such a powerful message. "Say Yes." I will.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Beautiful.

2:44 AM  
Blogger megg said...

Hi there,

That was a really wonderful list - very personal and strong. I don't know if I would be able to use that book. I have a real fear of filling books like that. I tend to do the exercises on a separate page to avoid writing something permanent in a precious book! Ha ha ha! I think I NEED the book - for therapy!

3:15 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

gorgeous...
such strong words...
yay for you!

and i might have to check into
that book...:)

3:36 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I want those things too. Thank you.

4:10 AM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

Wonderful things to say yes to! Many years a go I belonged to an improvisational theatre group. One of the rules was that you had to say yes to whatever was suggested during a scene. It kept the action moving! Here's to saying yes more!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

That's a most excellent list of things to say "yes" to!

Also, those crayons are fabulous!

5:30 AM  
Anonymous autum said...

I love the picture. You do such a good job stimulating the eye the mind and the spirit with your posts! I'm going to get that book.

5:39 AM  
Blogger ArtsyMama said...

I am also a HUGE fan of this book. It has really inspired me to journal more and loosen up with it. I also had the reaction that this is the type of book I would love to write:)

7:48 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Your list was poetry. Really nice work.
andrea

8:08 AM  
Blogger tara dawn said...

i love this...your introduction to this book, your list, your willingness to share it all...thank you!!
xoxo

8:49 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

You ARE writing your own book. You've written one here in your blog. It's an amazing book, and one that I would read again and again.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Turquoise CRO said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!~!!! I WANT TO SHOUT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! TO ALL OF THOSE TOO!!! GREAT POST!!! AND SING!!! YESSSSSSS!!! EVERYONE HAS A SONG IN THEIR HEART! SING IT OUT LOUD!!! WOWIEEEEEEEEE!!! TO THIS MOST INSPIRING POST GIRLY!!!LET ME BORROW THOSE CRAYONS! LOL

9:51 AM  
Blogger The Cubicle Reverend said...

There was a time I used to draw cartoons all the time. I miss it.

By the way, have you ever heard the Edith Piaf song which is your name sake?

1:54 PM  
Blogger firstborn studio said...

what a delightful book this is...it is a favorite of mine,and as always your words and perspective have inspired my weary bones...many thanks,michelle!
xo,
d

2:18 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

cute photo, sounds like a great book, I love all those things you want to say yes to. I want to to especially breathing, peace, following my spirit, dancing and laughing, and death, I have the hardest time say yes to those things.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

Yes to it all!! I just got this book myself, and you just inspired to finally dive into it this evening.

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a poet!

You = poet

I didn't know about this book but am now going to check it out-- thanks for sharing.

~bluepoppy

5:38 PM  
Blogger Shirley Goodwin said...

You go, girl! Do those things!

Shirley in New Zealand

7:07 PM  
Blogger kelly rae said...

i love her work and i love her latest book/journal. it's one of my favorites and has really inspired me to get back to what i did in my teens and early 20s: write, journal, create. it's nice to hear someone else's "what i say yes to!"

8:02 PM  
Anonymous lela said...

this is a fabulous book... i also tried to write to that prompt except i got stuck. i'm going to try again. you've inspired me.

and your list... i got a lump in my throat while reading it... beautiful...

thank you, my friend.
xoxoxoxoxo

7:34 PM  
Blogger Frankie said...

Yes, yes, yes!! I want to say yes to those things to! How inspiring!

10:10 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

it's a fantastic book and I'm such a big fan of her work.

saying yes is such an empowering kind of thing too. I once had a dance teacher who, as she was warming us up, would have us think about all things we want to say yes to. either at that particular moment, or in our lives in general. there we'd all be, bodies relaxed and slumped over, but each one silent. all of us thinking and saying yes. it was a palpable kind of positive. I still think about that so much. I tell you, it's the power of saying yes.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home