Tuesday, February 28, 2006

SPT {All of Me-4}


Puttin' the sass back in sassy! Sometimes we just need that one small change to get us moving in the right direction again. For me it was a much needed haircut. My hair was long and heavy...and it quite adequately represented my spirit...heavy. A few inches off and suddenly I'm walking a little lighter, holding my head a little higher. I prefer my hair shorter. I like the way it bounces when I walk. I like being able to toss it around easily. And when spring does finally decide to make her grand entrance I want her to be able to kiss me lightly on the back of the neck. But this isn't a post about a haircut...although it is pretty fabulous...it's a post about loving and embracing my sassiness.

Tonight I caught myself reprimanding Britton, "Don't be sassy!" His dad was telling him to put the lid back on his coke and he was telling his dad no. In stepped mom. "Don't be sassy!" As soon as the words came out of my mouth I regretted it. I don't regret correcting him. That needed to be done. Disrespect isn't okay. I just wish I'd chosen different wording. When the words slipped out I wondered what a lifetime of hearing "Don't be sassy!" could do to a person's spirit. It could suck the sass right out. And god knows we need some sass...I need some sass. So I'm choosing to love and embrace my sassy side.

And what is sassiness really? It's having an opinion and voicing it. It's thinking for yourself. It's having an individuality. It's self-hood. And isn't that a good thing? Isn't that the best gift we can give our children? Isn't it the best gift we can give ourselves.?I lived many years of my life believing what I was told to believe, even when something didn't set right with me. I pushed it down and refused to listen to the uncomfortable urgings that were trying to grab my attention. Questioning the powers-that-be only resulted in my being put right back in my place, where I belonged. Who wants women thinking for themselves, right? That's too dangerous. That's too radical. That's bad news. Yet that's what is sometimes implied. Either directly or indirectly, we are often told to keep our mouths shut, stay in the kitchen, leave it to the men. And sassy women are the worst. They talk back, the don't obey their husbands, they rock the boat. They question President Bush, when others are dying they show up in Washington demanding answers, they fight to save their sisters from being stoned to death, they run for public office, they win the Nobel peace prize, they unearth the truth and then refuse to allow others to look away, they write poetry, the create art, they follow their dreams, they actually like sex, they do everything they can to ensure women have the right to create their own lives, they raise their children, they love their partners, and they always put their names at the top of the list because that isn't selfish, that's self-care. I say give me those sassy women. I want to surround myself with their boldness, with their courage, with their daring. The world is in desperate need of sassy women. I haven't lost my sass. I was just weighed down for awhile. Now I'm ready to rekindle the sassy fires.

And if you want to roll around in some sass, if you want to slather it all over yourself, just start with the links on my sidebar. There are some sassy, sassy ladies out there in blogland. On my sidebar sass reigns...and I like it like that. I'm proud to be sassy. And the next time someone tells me "Don't be sassy!" I give myself permission to tell them exactly what I think about that.

50 Comments:

Blogger bella said...

Yay! Beautiful hair, very SASSY! And yes, encourage Britton to be as sassy as possible! Angie and her sassy self walks around the house in her bathing suit during winter.. and I say "Go with it girl." I love her free spirit and encourage her and help her embrace it.

8:44 PM  
Blogger mati rose said...

love your hair! you're inspiring me, i'm much overdue for a cut. also heart the sass!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Athena said...

very nice cut. the glasses are cute too. :)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Wonderful post, wonderful photos. I LOVE the sassy new cut!! You look fabulous!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Sassy's good. I know a few men who could do with a dose. Yes, I do want women to think for themselves. I want everyone to think for themselves. Think of what that would mean to the world!

9:16 PM  
Blogger telfair said...

YES! Love sass, and love your haircut -- it's so great!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Wenda said...

Sassy suits you. And yes, it suits us all. How I feel when I'm being sassy is one of my favourite feelings. Thanks for the reminder.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Misty Mawn said...

Wow ...you look so beautiful! You really do!

10:36 PM  
Blogger dani said...

love your new haircut!!!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Michelle, your kind of sass has the elements that enable it to move with grace and be heard. It is Sass with a "S" so many confuse it and take the "S" out!
That is the key I think to be Sassy with respect.
ditto on the haircut!

10:50 PM  
Blogger kelly rae said...

remember Sassy magazine? it was so fun, and youthful, and courageous and creative. you seem like someone who is all things brave, honest, and sassy. and you have cute hair!

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Love the cut--you look adorable! Here's to sassy in all its best forms. Let's use some sass to kick some *ss.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Janine said...

Love your haircut, its beautiful. Up with Sass I say.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Bohemian Girl said...

completely digging your new do.

sassy~sexy~you!!

ROAR.

1:23 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I love your haircut, it's so pretty, bouncy and sassy!
I tell my girl she's being 'fresh' when she's back-talking and it hasn't dampened her spirit one iota. Great SPT!

3:58 AM  
Blogger megg said...

You really look beautiful! I come here for my own daily dose of sass - you're amazing, inspiring, and VERY sassy!

4:03 AM  
Blogger blackbird said...

all sassy-ness aside,
I really love that haircut.

4:05 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

in love with the haircut...
how cute and sharp and fun...

and yay! for sassiness...

(sassy always makes me
think of what was my
"magazine bible" when i
was younger...i miss
that magazine even it
is Jane now...)
:)

5:05 AM  
Blogger ESB said...

love the haircut!

5:55 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

ditto...the new do is
F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Your last paragraph gave me goosebumps.

I absolutely LOVE your hair! It is soooooo sassy. I look aweful in short hair but would love to have that haircut.

I love the glasses too.

You rock.

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Charmaine said...

It's very sassy -- and what a beautiful color too! Love the glasses and glad to hear that other women feel better with shorter hair. I always get stuck trying to grow mine out but always ALWAYS feel much more like myself when it's shorter.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Josephine said...

You have FABULOUS hair!!! I love that cut on you. And I love these photos, you are a beautiful woman!

Thank you for sharing your ideas, they are so vibrant and inspiring...I count you as one of the best things I've encountered in almost 4 years, your ideas really spark new thought in me, and I value that more than anything!

Thank you!

6:53 AM  
Blogger The Cubicle Reverend said...

the new look works for you. Look how frecklie you are!

7:21 AM  
Blogger mayseek life said...

wow!one word-so many feelings related to it. after reading your ideas i realized the importance of intention. if my actions -the sassy ones-are driven by a true expression of myself they are wonderful. if however they have a tinge of anger or fear- those actions are not in my interest.
beautifully articulated!!!

7:24 AM  
Blogger lovegreendog said...

i knew when " i grew up" i wanted to be fresh and saay - because the women in my life said NO to it. i want to have my own ideas and share them, even if they are not what people WANT to hear. Rock the boat, make waves, be fesh and sassy in your new cut, you look great!

7:30 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Kick ass haircut and kick ass attitude. Love the specs too.
a.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

love love love your hair, very cute and sassy. I've said that to Jack to "don't be sassy" and when I said it, I remember thinking hey, I like saying "sassy". I don't think I've even said the word in decades, it took me having kids to say "sassy" and relize even just saying the word is fun.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous samantha said...

I love the new hairdo! You look different with every picture you post - I think it's your amazing spirit evolving and blossoming with each new day!

I'm getting my hair cut - it's far too long - and I'll be with you, full of sass and spunk!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Mardougrrl said...

I love this post! And you and Bohemian Girl have got me started thinking about things to do with my hair, too. Sublime and shallow! ;) And ITA about what a lifetime of hearing "don't be sassy" or something like that can do. I'm trying to be aware of not telling my Madam to behave TOO often, as I think a little misbehavior is the wellspring of a glamourous, creative life.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Such a gorgeous new look! I love your glasses, too.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Love the sassy haircut and the sassy attitude!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

i love your new haircut!!!! awesome post.
love,
sassy servergirl :)

1:50 PM  
Blogger madness rivera said...

Your sass it hot! Love the cut.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Frankie said...

You GO girlfriend!!! I feel so ready to go out in the world and kick some ass with some sass!! :). I love your list of what sassy women do and are. I went to an all girl school for thirteen years and was brought up being told over and over again how important these things were for a woman. It was such a joy to read them here and be reminded of that, and of all the women I know who ARE that. Girl power! I really love your hair!! You look absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Yummyteece said...

"Sassy" has long been one of my favorite words to describe myself. And I'm THRILLED that there are so many of us succulent sassy women out there, stirring up trouble, caring for ourselves, our sisters and the rest of the world. I want to blog it as far as the eyes can read, lifting the cry to the heavens

SASSY WOMEN UNITE!!

(PS... the haircut is awesome and how INCREDIBLY sexy are those freckles! *grin*)

4:53 PM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

Your hair is great! SASS ON, sweet lady! Between the SASS and the ROAR I think this spring is going to ROCK for you!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Great haircut & great post! Love your definition of sass. I haven't been using that word nearly enough, but you're right: it's a great word and a great thing!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

LOL, girl! There is sassy and cute and sassy rude. I believe you mean chick, cool, cats pur, and mellow! Cute inticeing etc...

6:15 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

LOL! I forgot to say I too like your new hair cut!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

I love it, it is inspiring me to go soon!

6:59 PM  
Blogger ArtsyMama said...

LOVE the word SaSSy...I've been using it recently also:) Love the hair cut. I adore going to get my locks chopped off. AHHHH!!!

7:52 PM  
Anonymous lela said...

no time to read right now, but had to tell you how FABulous you look!!!!!

7:59 PM  
Blogger --erica said...

Love the new "do"..
I'm all for SassY!

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

I have always loved the word sassy. You, my dear, are looking the part with that great new cut. And I am proud to be among the sassy in the sidebar ;)

8:56 PM  
Anonymous irene said...

totally LOVE the new haircut!!!
hm.... maybe I should get one too!!!

12:04 AM  
Blogger Swirly said...

Love the new DO!

8:03 PM  
Blogger twistedsoda said...

Why...there you are!!! I just knew you would be the sweetest woman alive!!! Love those freckles, you and I have more things in common that we think...my face is full of them too! The haircut is perfect!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

oh its so cute great look!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Sphinx said...

I have never seen more comments on one post! LOL

You're very pretty...I like your style.

:-)

Cheers

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home