Tuesday, February 14, 2006

SPT {All of Me-2}


Yes, you read the t-shirt correctly. It says "roar." Roar. ROAR. R-O-A-R. ROAR. So get to it! Let the roaring commence.

I know all the tricks to being a very, very good girl. I know how to stay small and invisible. I know how to not ask for too much. I know how to only order water at a restaurant. I know how to bite my lip to hold back the emotions. I know how to push the anger down, down into the deepest darkness. I know how to smile like I mean it. I know how to give until I have nothing left. I know how to cater to the needs of others. I know how to listen even when I'm tired. I know how to sit quietly when I really want to be seen. I know how to stand on the sidelines and cheer until I'm hoarse. Yes I know how to be a very good girl. And I love the good girl. I don't hate her or resent her. I understand that she did the very best she knew how to do. I understand that the choices she made were the choices she thought were necessary to protect herself--myself. I know that every action she took was in the hope of being acceptable. It was meant to avoid the disapproving looks and receive the pat on the head. It was all done in order to fit in and appear lovely. The good girl just wanted to take care of me, protect me, and I love her for it.

But, I'm a big girl now and it's time to start doing what I need to do, what the good girl wouldn't let me do because of all her fears. It's time to stop holding back and let it all out. It's time to start roaring. It's time to show up. It's time to be seen...no, I want something more than just being seen. It's time to shine! The good girl did her job and did it well. Now it's time for her to take a vacation. Here's your ticket to Paris dear one. It's time for the wild one, the one that has just been waiting, rattling the cage doors, to be set free. It's time to let her do what she does best--ROAR! I love this wild one too. I love her courage and her daring. I love her voice and her power. I love the way she prowls through life's messy jungle looking for beauty--pouncing on it, devouring it, swallowing it whole. I love how she just can't get enough. I love that she demands to be seen and heard. I love that she knows how to take care of me as well, but in a different way. I love her "hell no!" And I love her roar. So, who wants to join me? 1...2...3...

R-O-A-R!

34 Comments:

Blogger Frankie said...

ROAR!! I'm in! I'm in because all of my life I've been that good girl, the one who fulfills all of the responsibilities and expectations given to her, but one who has yet to fulfill the expectations she has for herself. I'm so ready to ROAR and I'm so glad I can do it with someone as remarakable as you.

7:36 PM  
Blogger tara dawn said...

I am certainly ROARing right there with you. Bravo to you, my friend. Though I cannot say I've ever truly been the "good girl", I can tell you I have lots of experience roaring. Thanks for the reminder that it is okay, more than okay, to ROAR!!
Sending hugs!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I couldn't make it past the third sentence without crying. This really touched me-it was just what I needed to read at this very moment.
Thank you.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

A BIG, FREAKIN' HUGE ROAR!! I am so there! And shine? You already do! In a big sparkly firecracker sort of way! And remember firecrackers are DAMN LOUD! ROAR ON!

7:49 PM  
Blogger mati rose said...

ROAR on!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Rambunctious!
Outrageous!
Amazing!
Radiant!

ROARing with you, Michelle.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I love this post!
I needed to hear this today as well.
You go!

8:41 PM  
Blogger mom on a wire said...

Oh! I love it! Love it love it!

9:27 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

this is it. this is it!
when you come to my pajama/book shop and we go upstairs to the yoga studio, i am going to teach you "goddess" pose - the one where i (try to) get a room full of women to roar...and this will be the word i use from now on.
love it.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

i will join the roar team with ya...GRRRR...nice Spt...and i love that shirt...2 cute!!

12:55 AM  
Blogger megg said...

HEY!

I am IN! What a fabulous, life affirming, empowered post! I was torn between cheering, crying and grinning. You gave me goosebumps!!

2:33 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

Hurray!!! ROAR!!!! I've always been the one that says too much, holds nothing back and my husband swears that's why I sleep well at night.

3:33 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

awe-inspiring...
um...
can i join too?
um..you know...if you don't mind...
i won't be a bother at all
you'll hardly even notice i'm here

haha
kidding
ROAR!
teehee

5:10 AM  
Anonymous jenny vorwaller said...

ROARRRRR!!!

that felt great.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Misty Mawn said...

R O A R ....count me in!

6:04 AM  
Anonymous yolie said...

ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't do that enough.
It feels good.
Thank you!
You go grrrrrrrrllllllllllll!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

I love that you are tender with the nice girl who got you through, but that you are ready to ROAR now. I'm right there with you. R-O-A-R

8:02 AM  
Blogger Josephine said...

ROAR!!!!!!!!!!

Loving the teeth you're showing!
~Josephine

8:16 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

i love her too!
she makes me want to ROAR

i am going to post some fun new links in my next entry. you will
have to check them out. i think you might like some of what you see!

8:46 AM  
Blogger --erica said...

okay.
I did it.
The dog is looking at me funny.

10:17 AM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

yaaaaaaaagh-aaagh-aaaaagh.

Yes. Good. Roaring. Need more.

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaagh.

Thank you. Most powerful post.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh YES

ROAR!

LOVE that t-shirt-- LOVE. It.!!!

~bluepoppy

11:27 AM  
Blogger melba said...

Your stregnth shines through in every post. I can relate to not just wanting to be seen, but to shine...to really give everything to this life.

I love your collage in the post below. I am with you on the car maintenance, not one of my strong points. Ofcourse I love the word BELIEVE too!

3:59 PM  
Blogger baylor said...

ROAR!!! I am feeling you, girl!

I hope you print this beautiful entry out and keep in for yourself forever!

5:26 PM  
Blogger *aimee* said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. The reminder of liberation is exhilarating. Such power under control...no whispers, but roars; no seeing, but shining. I absolutely love it!!! I love that shirt too.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

R-O-A-R!!!

Yes! I have a similar shirt that says roar. My husband makes fun of me every time I wear it because he says that it's me as a kid. The unspoken joke is that it's still me as an adult! heehee!

RRRrrOOOOOOOooAAAAAAAAArrrRRRRR!

Rock on sister!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Alexandra S said...

I want to join you! This post came just when I needed it, being quite out of touch this evening with my most empowering, can-do-anything self. Thank you M!!!!!! This is such a great, inspiring post!

6:40 PM  
Blogger dani said...

And to think just yesterday you had nothing to write about, felt like you were having a dry spell - boy, I wish my dry spells were like this!

Love every part of this! I'm totally in!

"I am woman, hear me roar"!!!
Remember that Helen Reddy song? Because she was an Aussie and made it in the US, as a kid I thought she was very cool. I always loved that line in that song and you've just reminded me of it. Thank you!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

Let's roar and howl together!!!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

That's a fabulous t-shirt, and a great sentiment. Or should I say 'good' sentiment?

4:06 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

I know that good girl too. probably a little more aquainted with her than I'd like to be. one of my favorite pieces I ever danced in was called 'speak'... it was about women and their voices... how we have a difficult time saying no and really struggle with revealing our true emotions. the whole piece was born out of our stories and gestures-- such a commonality to them! it was really a powerful piece... I have been meaning to write about it for a while. I think you'd dig it.

long live the roaring!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

damn.
i can' t believe this week has kept me from seeing this post until now.
damn good post!
makes me want to stir up this world even more!!!!!

rock on with your roaring self...and thank you for the reminder!

roooooooooooooAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Bohemian Girl said...

ROAR, sister.

this really resonated with me...big time. i was so, so shy as a little girl and did all the things you listed as the good girl.

i am learning how to ROAR and it feels damn good and free'ing.

it also helps to be inspired by other ROAR-ers.

you are indeed, shining now!!

thank you for this.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Wenda said...

I must have been snoozing in my den when you first posted this one. GRRRaaagghhhrrr!

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home