Friday, February 17, 2006

Grateful Friday or That's What Moms are For


I'm a scaredy cat. I'll admit it. I don't do scary movies, scary books, scary anything. The last scary movie I saw in the theater was The Mothman Prophecies. Trey and I were newly dating and guess what? I had to stay with him all weekend because I was too scared to stay alone. He had to wake me from nightmares in which I was screaming in my sleep. I don't even like the commercials for scary movies. The Exorcism of Emily Rose...get that crap off my t.v. I can't handle it. The first and only Dean Koontz book I ever read resulted in my not being able to answer the phone after midnight. I don't shower unless someone is in the house to protect me and I never, ever, ever turn the lights out if I'm staying alone. Lest you think I'm exaggerating let me just say that Capote gave me nightmares. Capote people! And my all time most horrific experience? The Sixth Sense. I don't need to see dead people. They do nothing but give me nightmares. Call it my sensitive nature. Call it my overactive imagination. At least that makes me sound a little more artistic and creative and not just flat out cowardly. Face it. I'm a big fat scaredy cat. That being said let me tell you why this Grateful Friday post is dedicated to my mom.

Last weekend my sister Lela and I met my mom in New Mexico for a weekend at my aunt's (by the way, she has the most fabulous house in the world! She even has a player piano. Cool huh!?) That evening, after my uncle had retired for the night and all the beds were turned down and ready for their guests, the girls hung out watching cheesy Lifetime movies and doing a little bit of catching up. That's when the topic of my aunt's ghost was brought up. Yes friends, my aunt has a ghost living in her home. It's been there for as long as they've lived there and she's used to it by now. Most of the time my aunt sees him (yes, it's a male ghost) while she is busy at the kitchen sink. She'll catch a glimpse of him out of the corner of her eye, standing in the doorway. Most of the time he's just standing there. Other times he's smoking a cigar. Her boys have both seen him sitting on the stairs smoking. Sometimes she'll come into the house and smell the scent of a freshly lit cigar and she'll know he's been around. She sees him regularly--regularly meaning weekly, sometimes daily--and he's never frightened her. In fact she says that when she sees him it is a very peaceful experience.

So there we were in the living room listening to stories about my aunt's resident ghost. I don't know whether ghosts really exist or not but just the idea of ghosts is enough to give me a lifetime of sleepless nights. When asked when she had last seen him and where my aunt replied "Oh, yesterday. He was standing right there in that doorway." The same doorway my friends that the couch I would be sleeping on for the night was facing. I don't think so! Like I said I'm a scaredy cat...even when it comes to nice, peaceful ghosts. So guess what this 32, almost 33, year old woman did that night? I slept with my mom. And that is just one of the reasons I'm grateful for my mom. She is still there when I need her. She rescues me when I need it the most. And yes, she still lets me sleep with her if that's what I need to do. And, not only did she let me sleep with her but she let me sleep on the inside, next to the wall,l so that I didn't have to be near the edge because you know I don't like the edge. You never know what might try to reach out from under the bed and grab you in your sleep. I've seen Poltergeist people! I know scary clowns sometimes slip under there and just wait for you to doze off.

That's what moms are for...to let their adult daughters, who happen to be scared of ghosts, sleep with them so that they don't have to endure a restless, fearful night. I'm one grateful gal!

27 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

wonderful post!
i am grateful for my mom, too, even at the age of i'llbefortyinaugust.

and OH MY GOD i totally feel for you on the scary movie thing...the last scary movie i saw in the theater was "copycat" with s. weaver...scared the crap outta me...and then, when i got home that night, there was someone hiding in my stairwell!!!!! he didn't hurt me or my friend, thank goodness...but he scared me to death.
since then, only non-scary movies.

i don't need any help with my imagination, thank you.

have a great weekend!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

This was great, scaredy cat! Glad your mom is still there for you in all the ways that matter. Have a wonderful weekend.

6:11 PM  
Blogger blackbird said...

ooooh, I hate the edge.

Well, except for, you know, The Edge, who plays with U2.
He's okay.

I call my mom regularly with questions about whatever disease I have decided I have.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

This is a great and very entertaining post! Love it. I'm the opposite - I adore scary stuff (not gorey, just scarey) and absolutely relish the chills up the spine. Ever since I was little. I love the idea of ghosts - and wish I had one of my own! (I'm picturing your aunt's ghost sitting at the player piano.) Sounds like you had a good gal's trip!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

You left out the thing I most want to know - WHEN will you turn 33? And will there be cake? :-)

6:56 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

teehee...
i also hate scary movies
however
not quite to the extent that you do
:)
if they have a good story
i can tolerate them
but damn it,
don't try to tease me by
saying candyman three times in my
bathroom mirror after, even if YOU
beleive its just a movie
heehee
:)
and yay for sleepin' with your mom...
nothing wrong with that
:)

7:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah e.Smith said...

What a great story :) I love scary movies and can usually handle them well...but the Blair Witch (whe i thought it was a true story) scared the living daylight out of me...i was shaking coming out of the theater...

9:07 PM  
Blogger megg said...

I am a scaredy cat too - big time! I just can't watch horror movies. And I live in the UK. TRULY every single bloody building has ghosts. Luckily we live in a new house so I don't have to worry about this one. What a nice tribute to your Mom! I'm glad she was there to protect you. Moms are good that way!

3:27 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I'm scared of ghosts too. My best friend in Philly has a ghost in her house and I know it's there, can feel it there and it freaks me out. She mentioned there's some ghostly presence in my house but I haven't asked and won't. Better to just not know. This is me:

hands covering ears, eyes closed saying 'lalalalalalala'....did it go away yet?

4:09 AM  
Anonymous Cheryl said...

Your post had me LOL. What a wonderful mom you have!
I am also scared of scary movies. I also have a terribly overactive imagination - I call it Stephen King living in my brain.

But I am not scared of ghosts, having seen a few myself, which was kind of freaky, but not so much in a scary way.
They weren't scary, like say, Freddie Kruger or Jason.

It's the humans donning masks you need to be scared of - or evil trucks named Christine. ;-)

6:13 AM  
Blogger European said...

When I was 13 or so, I thought that I needed to see The Silence of the Lambs. I taped a late-night showing and then watched it during the day. The first night after, I slept in my parents' bed. And for at least a month after that, I wished I was sleeping there. To this day, I freak out a little when that movie comes to mind.
I've turned the TV off during scary movie previews...
(We walked out of the theater during 6th sense - I'm grateful for my husband who rescued me from that evil movie.)

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Carla said...

Lovely story. I am so grateful for my Mom, too. I´m 30 and I was pregnant. The minute the doctor told me there were problems and that I might MC, we both knew I would stay with her for as long as it took. I stayed with her for almost 15 days, she took care of me, pampered me, listened to me, cried with me. Neither of us slept the night before the D&C. Of course she was the one with me. Sure, my husband and my Dad were there... but there is nobody like Mom in those moments... Thanks again for your beautiful story

6:17 AM  
Blogger kate said...

I am with ya sister! Scared of all that stuff too!!!

Great blog! It really made me miss my Mom.

Cheers! K

7:04 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I can so so so relate. At least once a week when I wake up in the night I get scared that as i'm looking over the side of the bed a demon head will pop up and look back at me. I also can't watch scary commercials, I litterlay have to turn the channel or close my eyes and cover my ears. That Emily Rose commercial is the worst, but there are so many others also. Great post!!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Blue Dog said...

When I go see a scary movie in the theater people laugh at me because I'm the first to scream (and loud!). I'm also sometimes afraid to let my bare foot hang out of the covers. heehee! You're post was fun to read. I'm glad you have such a great mom!

10:22 AM  
Blogger telfair said...

I like scary movies but usually regret this perverse enjoyment once I get into bed and turn out the lights.

I love my mom to death but she's not a big help in this area -- she says she has a ghost in their house, too, and listening to her tell about it creeps me out more than scary movies.

2:05 PM  
Blogger melba said...

I am a scaredy cat too! I hate scary movie...yes even the commercials, actually especially the commercials when Sean is working late and I am home alone with the kids. When Maggie was first born Sean was an overnight manager at Target. The money was great, but I hated it! I hated being alone all night (and kind of all day because he was always tired and sleeping). Part of the reason he quit was because I couldn't take it! I would not make a good army wife.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous autum said...

I wouldn't have slept on the couch either.I was scared just reading the story. I am sure your mom loved having you sleep with her reminding her that no matter how old you are you are still her baby.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Hello, dear friend...I've so missed reading your posts...the beauty you find in your everyday life...the layers of yourself you bravely reveal to us...missed it...all of it. And THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers that you and Britton offered for my family while I was offline...it meant more than I can possibly say. It was the oddest thing, Michelle...I was on the phone with my stepmother one Saturday, hearing her deliver truly dreadful news and telling me how she'd cried herself to sleep the night before...the next day my Dad called to say he'd answered the phone and it was my stepbrother...he'd been released from the hospital the day before and sounded like his old self. He's still in shaky health (and will most likely need a liver transplant), but he's home...and that 24 hours seemed almost like a miracle had taken place.

As for this post...I'm a TOTAL scaredy-cat, even though I don't let on about that. I almost always sleep on the couch (with the lights and/or TV on) until J gets home from gigs...and rarely turn all the lights off when I'm spending a whole night alone.

7:40 PM  
Blogger GoGo said...

Just you writing about the mothman prophecies brings chills to my spine. That movie creeped me out...and once i made the mistake of watching Blair Witch Project. Great now both of them are in my head. :o).

I like your writing, glad I stopped on by!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fry said...

I might not sleep after reading your post because I can totally relate. I haven't even seen Sixth Sense because I know it will scare me to death!

10:37 PM  
Blogger dani said...

same same same same same.

i can't believe they mentioned the ghost while you were all there. freaky. i don't think i would have been able to sleep.

your mum sounds cool. i would have done the same.

and bravo to the photos of late - they're stunning.

2:28 AM  
Blogger The Whole Self said...

love it!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank god I'm not alone! (I'm 44, btw.)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Turquoise CRO said...

Phew! Hi! I live in WV but haven't been to Point PLEASANT, wouldn't it be pleasant to seeeee a real MOTHMAN??? LOL I'm somewhat of a scaredy cat too! I would have slept with my mom too! I LOVE New Mexico!!! Was in Sante Fe in the 80's! Just one day and night but I fell in love!!! My brother lives in Grapevine! Is that a good ways from you? It's real near Dallas. Hey! You are welcome to come to my blog! I just started one with our Miss Misty's help!!! She did a great job! She helped me with my banner(by using a art doll I have listed on Ebay, LOL)and everything else! I usually posted on her blog anonymously and usually you were there too! Loving your Blog! Cinda

8:27 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

oh i get scared like this too. i simply won't go to horror movies and i don't want to watch them. my husband thought it would be a good idea to watch pitch black a few weeks ago. we had to forward through a huge chunk of the movie - it takes place in the pitch black - and that is no place i want to be.
here's to moms who take care of their daughters when we are scared...
(oh and the only reason i survived the sixth sense in the theatre was that the lights were never fully dimmed - not sure why but it was fine by me!)

11:35 PM  
Anonymous pam said...

You are so not alone! I am 40 (!) and when my husband goes out of town I have to bring my kids in my room and lock my door and sometimes I still call my Dad and ask him to come sleep in the extra room-and just like your Mom, he always does.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home