Thursday, January 05, 2006

A Winged Messenger


I saw her again today,
my hawk.
Sure, she probably wasn't the same one,
but I'd like to think she was.
I'd like to think she was my own personal messenger
sent like the angel Gabriel,
to deliver good tidings of great joy
just for me.
I'd like to think she has something incredibly important
to relay before her flight at dusk.
Today she was perched on a barbed wire fence,
a sleek body of feathered perfection.
Her yellow fists gripped the metal tightly
and her wings were tucked lazily about her.
You'd never know her immense power by just glimpsing her
perched there as the sun set behind her.
I'd like to think she was waiting for me,
that she knew I'd be passing this way,
that she had a secret she couldn't wait to share,
"You and I, we're not that different.
Now spread your wings child.
Let go, it's time to fly."

17 Comments:

Blogger liz elayne said...

your words. once again. beautiful. now fly, fly, fly...

8:28 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

I will never look at a hawk the same way again...and I see them all the time up in Solvang!! Thank you.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Do you ever listen to Sara Evans' music? Your post and the wonderful photo remind me of the chorus of my favorite of her songs, "Born to Fly".

"How do you wait for Heaven?
Who has that much time?
And how do you keep your feet on the ground,
when you know you were born to fly?"

9:55 PM  
Blogger twistedsoda said...

I can't even expalin what your words do to me! Leaves me breathless for more!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Zeljko Radinski said...

Wow I too think of having a bird as my messenger from God, but never wrote about it. Your poem is just wonderful I love it, beautifully put.

Peace & Love

11:51 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

sigh...
brilliant.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

The picture and the words together; so incredible..

6:14 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

lovely.

6:31 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

fly girlie...you know you want to

6:41 AM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

i like that you feel a kinship with this spirit bird.... that she feels like a messenger angel. speaking of angels... i heard this great program on npr about angels:
http://www.wpr.org/book/041226b.html
have a great day! snowsparkle

7:41 AM  
Blogger red sun said...

wonderful!

7:52 AM  
Blogger ArtsyMama said...

Wonderful words. Thank you!

8:03 AM  
Anonymous yolie said...

Isn't that wild! I feel this same way whenever I have a "close encounter of the feathered kind". I've had several appear in my house at different times and it's hard not to believe they aren't messengers of some kind. It always makes me feel a little sad and a little dense that I can't actually decipher the message.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

Purveyors of hope and inspiration - they come on all forms. And your spirit bore witness today.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Beansprout said...

Native Americans believe that the hawk is the messenger of the gods. Every time I read your posts I keep thinking that the way you will be known in the world is as a writer (a messenger). Perhaps, hawk is circling you to remind you of your gift. Remember: Hawk has a keen eye and a bold heart. Go ahead...soar!

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

I love when messengers in nature come to us...

8:01 PM  
Blogger Frankie said...

Hmmm I love this omen of the winged messenger. Beautiful.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home