Thursday, January 12, 2006

Some Poems for a Cold Thursday Night


A couple of poems to warm the heart from the late Mattie J.T. Stepanek, peacemaker, poet, and minister of hope.

The Importance of Colors


My favorite color
Used to be sunset
Beacuse I love
Pink and orange and brown.
Now, I have
A second favorite color --
Rainbow.
A rainbow has all of my
Favorite sunset colors,
And also all the colors
That are in the sunrise
And in all the fish and birds
And in all the people
That God made.
Some of the kids at my school
Say that pink and orange
Are girls' colors.
But I don't think so
Because boys like
Sunsets too.
And I know that rainbows
Are for boys and girls,
Because they have
Pink and orange and brown
And gray and purple and blue.
I don't think
Girls and boys
Should have their own colors.
I think God wants us
To share colors,
And to like them all
Because they are all
A gift to us

January 1995



Peace of Color


A good, colorful world
Is the key to
A good, colorful life.
Remember that
Without color,
The world could
Be a dull place.
Listen to your
Heartsong
With color in
Your spirit.
Then, you will be
A part of the
Harmony and peace
Kaleidoscope
That reflects
Our changing world.

January 2000

10 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Those are fabulous poems, Michelle. Thank you for sharing not only those, but the link to Mattie's website.

I like the photo you posted too!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous LB said...

I love Mattie more than life itself. I'll always remember where I was when I heard that he died. I feel so unworthy, but also so inspired and uplifted, by that little man's words. Thanks for sharing them with us today.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fry said...

Thanks for posting these. I haven't read anything similar for years but alway appreciate poetry that reminds us to break down barriers between colors, literal and not, and between genders, real and imagined. I'm looking forward to your greatfulness post as well.

10:40 PM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I love color imagery in poetry.

3:42 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

happy friday michelle!

5:53 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

deep words from a young person...
old in spirit...
thanks for posting those

8:22 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

Thanks for helping us remember. He cast a lot of color and light in his short life.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous irene said...

I'm with acumamakiki, I love the color imagery in your poems. beautiful.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

These are so sweet! I love the innocense of them, the way they sound like something a group of second graders could have written, and yet they are so elegant and sophisticated. Thanks so much for sharing them and brightening my cloudy (colorless) day!

12:27 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

Thank you for sharing these. Such beautiful simplicity in the depth of his words...

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home