Wednesday, January 11, 2006

On the Lighter Side


After yesterday's long and emotional blog I decided to take it easy tonight. I saw this tag on beansprout's blog and thought it would be a good way to lighten my load and give all of you a further glimpse into my life.


Four jobs you've had in your life:
1) when I was a teenager I made money by babysitting, mostly kids from our church (who by they way now have their own kids! what?!?!)
2) during college I was a daycare worker and a student assistant at the university I was attending
3) the most interesting and most difficult job (well, after motherhood) I ever held was as a chaplain
4) and I currently work in our local university's bursar's office

Four movies you could watch over and over:
1) Chocolat
2) Love Actually
3) About a Boy
4) Amelie

Four places you'’ve lived:
1) I was born in Portales NM
2) At some point in my childhood we moved to Tuccumcari NM
3) Around the time I was 4 we moved to Lubbock, TX and I've lived here ever since

Four TV shows you love to watch:
1) Arrested Development
2) Lost (that's what I'm getting ready for right now!)
3) Scrubs
4) Grey's Anatomy

Four places you've been on vacation:
1) what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas
2) Cancun baby!
3) Paris (spring break with my 9th grade French class)
4) every summer my grandparents would take us incredible places...Disneyland, Mt. Rushmore, Colorado Springs, the Grand Canyon, Branson MO

Four websites you visit daily:
actually, I try to visit all the blogs I have listed on the sidebar...I can't pick just one (or four)

Four of your favorite foods:
1) pretty much anything Chinese
2) creamy, chessey mac & cheese
3) cedar plank salmon (I had that tonight)
4) fried okra

Four places you'd rather be:
1) sitting at a Parisian bistro
2) enjoying the olive groves in Italy
3) getting lost on the streets of NYC
4) wrapped in someone's warm hug

Four albums you can'’t live without:
Like beansprout I go through phases but here are some of my all time favorites
1) Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run
2) the Garden State soundtrack
3) Natalie Merchant's The House Carpenter's Daughter
4) The White Album

Four vehicles I've owned:
1) my grandparent's old Ford Fairmont--until Jane Godfrey ran into me head on (no, I didn't know miss Jane but I'll never forget her)
2) a Buick Regal that I killed when I ran it out of oil
3) a crappy Kia Sephia
4) and I currently drive an old but dependable Mitzibushi Mirage

Now, wasn't that fun!

*******************
I want to thank all of you for the comments left on yesterday's post. While reading them my eyes filled with tears and my heart filled with hope. I'm printing them out so that I can read and re-read them over and over again. I'll keep them in a safe place so that when I face the next mothering challenge I'll have something to lean on. All the encouraging words, all the love and light, all the hugs and kisses, they made such a difference. I never cease to be amazed by the generosity of this blogging community, and the incredible spirit of womankind. You are strangers and yet you care enough about me to reach out, to take time to lift my spirit, to connect with me, to cradle me in my dark times. The love in this world is incredible...and I'm proud and lucky to be a recipient of it. Thank you for reminding me of the truth of who I am and the truth of motherhood. Thank you for the reminder to be REAL, not perfect. Thank you for holding a mirror up and allowing me to see my beauty. Now that's grace, and you all lavished it on me greatly. Thank you friends, thank you!

And just to let you know, today was 100% better. Last night Britton and I had a chance to talk about what happened and even to laugh about it because, you know, body butter splattered all over the wall is pretty funny!

14 Comments:

Anonymous beansprout said...

So glad you decided to pick up the open tag! Always a delight to learn more about the person that you are and the experiences that shaped you. Be well.

8:41 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

great list...
i'm definately going to try
the garden state soundtrack
since i keep hearing about it
:)
funny,
after i read your post yesterday
i happened across about four more
people that were writing about
life with their kids and i
think you would have been both
amused
and reassured by what they were
also saying...
you are definately not alone
:)

3:03 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

You know I love lists so I'll probably borrow this one. I'm glad you and B got to talk about the events....that's the most amazing thing about kids, you talk about it 'say my sorry's' (that's how my girl says it) and it's done. They don't know to hold grudges and it's on to the next day.

xo

4:13 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

PS.
Anytime you want to come get lost in the streets of NYC, you call me. Our home is just 18 miles and a 30 min. direct trainride in!!

4:58 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

yippie!!!! you are smiling. isn't amazing how fast we can bounce back...

jane godfrey??? i was thinking she was the monkey lady, but maybe not.
who is she? fun list - and the white album rocks

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photograph!

I'm so glad you are feeling better-- isn't it amazing the love and support you can get from the internet? It amazes me . . .

Hope things feel PINK for you today!

~Elizabeth
http://bluepoppy.omworks.com

5:37 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm so glad today is better, I love your list. I'm so jealous you've been to Paris!!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

Delightful nuggets! I'm so glad you are feeling better. That's the real picture of motherhood. One day you're in control; the next you're not. Thank goodness for all those wonderful good days! More hugs.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

Haha yes it is! This is a great, great, great list. I love reading things like this about other people...so fun! That's a fantastic picture too. Did you take it? The sky's such a gorgeous color. I'm so glad today was a little lighter!

11:17 AM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

I hope today is maybe a little lighter still. Love the lists. I was listening to some French music this morning wishing I was in a cafe in Paris. Have never been...hope to go some day.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous melanie said...

glad today was better!

btw, love the photo from yesterday... i found it ironic that 'fun center' reflected by your son's face, yet you look anything but amused :)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Glamorous Jo said...

Based on your favorite movies....I know we are kindred spirits. Fun list!

3:33 PM  
Blogger melba said...

I just read your post and comments from Tuesday. Like so many other women have already stated, I feel like I am constantly going insane and I am often full of rage. It is so important that we speak the truth as Women and Mothers. Motherhood is not for everyone; it is so much harder than I ever heard or imagined. Thank you for being so honest.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Springsteen's "Born to Run" album was the sidetrack to a particular chapter in my life...in (cough) 1978. ;) Glad to hear you're feeling better.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home