Friday, January 20, 2006

Grateful Friday (or yipee I finally had a girls night out!)


This week I start my Grateful Friday list off by being thankful I was able to get out with the girls last night. My sister Lela (middle pic above) invited me to supper and we were joined by four of her good friends. We met at one of my favorite places in town, La Diosa...and you know me, I love any place named "The Goddess." It is a winery that serves "tapas" (light appetizers), including delicious wraps. We laughed, shared a pitcher of sangria (okay, it was actually 3 pitchers), and enjoyed being in the company of a whole lot of estrogen. It was definitely good for the soul. I wish I could invite you all to meet me at this magical place because it really is amazing. The atmosphere is very artistic in a tex/mex kind of way (see the photos above--click on it for a larger version). Frida Kahlo's spirit is very evident and her portrait can be found in several different places around the winery. I arrived early and read a little bit of Mary Oliver while I waited for the others. Good food, good conversation, good service, good times. It was a perfect evening.

And while my heart is overflowing with the joy and celebration of last night, there is still room for more including...

Ray LaMontagne--I put his album on my Christmas wish list and although I didn't receive it I used some Christmas money and purchased it for myself. Run right out (or click right over to Amazon.com) and get this cd. It's amazing. I don't know how to describe his style...kind of blues-y, kind of country, kind of Joe Cocker-ish. Amazon.com links it to Amos Lee so if you like Amos Lee (which I do) then you'll like Ray LaMontagne too. It's excellent music for soaking in the tub and it's definitely the kind of music that makes you want to slow dance with the person of your dreams (and if you don't currently have someone then you can soak in the tub and dream about slow dancing with this dreamboat...or this beauty). I will warn you that his voice is rough and raw. So if you don't like rough and raw you might not like him. I love rough and raw which is probably why I adore The Boss. My favorite track is number 9. Go listen to it. It's excellent.

Being introduced to a new poet whose work I'm not familiar with--Michelle posted a fabulous piece of his work on her blog yesterday.

The Golden Globes--I'm a sucker for awards shows (yes, they are one of my guilty pleasures). Yeah Brokeback Mountain! I saw this film a couple of weeks ago and don't even know how to describe it. It's haunting. It's beautiful. It's one of those movies that really challenges what you believe about life and love, and in this case sexuality.

Witnessing a tender and beautiful expression of humanity--Heather was so honest about her feelings this week and it encourages me to crack open a little more often.

Discovering a new favorite movie--rent Dear Frankie. It's so heartwarming and the soundtrack is wonderful.

Dr. King--How do we ever repay this man for the tremendous change he help to create in this country? Thank you.

MLK day--I used my day to treat myself to a mini-retreat. I sent Britton on to daycare while I stayed home and did a little yoga, read a little poetry (David Whyte and Mary Oliver), put a good dent in The Poisonwood Bible (and ladies I am lovin' this masterpiece), flipped through magazines collecting interesting images, and got caught up on my 52 Figments postcards.

All in all I'd say I had a pretty good week.

21 Comments:

Anonymous beansprout said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful night out with the girls and that you managed to carve out some more time for yourself this week. It is all good!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Sounds like a truly superfantastic time!

I love the photo collage too.

8:29 PM  
Blogger telfair said...

Your girls' night out looks like such fun...I love your "gratitude" posts.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

It sounds absolutely lovely. :)

9:52 PM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

Sounds lovely and I wish I could have tagged along. I'm off right now to have ALONE time, visiting my friend in Philly for an overnight!!

5:01 AM  
Anonymous lela said...

you know, it's a very strange feeling to see "my" name referring to someone else. :0) it's just that is happens so seldom...
ANYWAY, here's to a fantastic girls night out!!!! wooohoo!!! so glad you had a soul nourishing evening.

7:18 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

la diosa looks like such a great place. my mouth is watering just thinking about it. and frida kahlo is one ofmy favorites. i am so glad you got a girls nite out! those are so important - we all need to be able to fill up the soul! have a great weekend.

7:22 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

yay!
i'm so excited and happy for you...
the restaurant looks amazing,
i'm glad you loved dear frankie
(i adored it!)
the poem is gut-wrenching

happy friday,
hope next week is as fulfilling
:)

7:52 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

Sounds like a FANTASTIC week! I love Ray LaMontagne AND Amos Lee...they're amazing. You have so many great links here and I'm excited to see them all. I suppose I MUST check out Dear Frankie, for obvious reasons. Most of all, YAY for a girls night out!! I live for those ;)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Sounds like so much fun, I'm so happy for you that you got to spen time in such a fun way. I love love love how that place looks. I'm glad my cracking could help you out a little :) Have a super weekend

10:23 AM  
Blogger baylor said...

What a great list of things to be greatful for! It seems like you had a great time at girls night out! Those are always some of the best times for me too! (And that place looks fantastic!)

I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain yet. But I have read the orignal story from when it was first published in the New Yorker in 1997. I have a link to it on my blog. It is amazing, as well!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

yipppeee...a night with the girls!! You needed that!! :)

12:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fry said...

I love the photos you posted of you night out. It sounds like my kind of place and kind of evening, espcially the part about reading some Mary Oliver while waiting for everyone to arrive. What a great way to kick off a night out with the ladies.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Glamorous Jo said...

love the photo collage and the great times you shared! happy grateful friday/weekend!

1:41 PM  
Blogger melba said...

My husband and I went to a Tapas restaurant this year for our anniversary. I love that type of place...so colorful and alive. I am glad you had a well deserved fun night!

4:35 PM  
Blogger --erica said...

wonderful evening!

5:20 PM  
Blogger ESB said...

yay!

5:33 PM  
Anonymous yolie said...

oooooo! So much goodness I can hardly stand it! The Tapas fandango sounds fantastic. Lucky girl!
Also The Poisonwood Bible is my favorite book. Like movies, I don't like to read a book twice, but some, like that one, I do. I think it may be time to pick it up again.

8:36 AM  
Blogger jenny vorwaller said...

i love ray! hes great as a performer too..and yay for girls night out! :)

12:07 PM  
Blogger Sarah e.Smith said...

Yay for your girls night out! I miss my girls nights out since I've had my little one! I have to make it a point to get one together soon! I recently discovered your blog and i love readign your posts and viewing your pics! :)

6:37 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

hee hee, thanks for the shout out. always love to read about the guilty pleasures' of others.

don't you love 52 figments? I wanted to do it but am so behind. one of these days! wish I had done it from the beginning!

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home