Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Remembering Mamaw


The little things that fill my memory...
Whenever we'd visit she always sent us home with a cooler of goodies--leftovers, snacks, sweets, anything special that Britton might eat
Once she gave me a tour of her quilts, telling me the story behind the fabric, the type of pattern she chose and why
She was a member of a singing group called the Happy Hatters. They traveled to small towns entertaining the "old folks" with their hymns and tunes.
She had a closet with plenty of purple and several red hats, standard apparel for a member of the Red Hat Society.
She and Papaw worked out at the gym every morning and then headed to Brahms for a treat.
They were both square dancers in their day--still dancing as much as the could well into their 80s.
Trey will miss her zucchini bread. I'll miss her fried chicken.
I'll never forget her advice for how to make a marriage work, after all, she would know, she and Papaw were married for 62 years. She said, "You have fun and you fight and then you fight some more."
I didn't know her well.
She came into my life just a few years ago.
She chose to love me because Trey chose to love me.
She chose to love me because I gave her Britton
and she loved Britton.
It's important that I remember all the small things because Britton can't.
He's just too young.
So, it's up to me and the other members of the family to do the remembering for him,
to keep her alive so that he will have a little piece of her.

14 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Writing all this down is a wonderful start for helping Britton keep a piece of her. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman.

9:40 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

that was sweet
and i love her advice for making a
marriage work...
and writing it down is a great way
to remember
and also share
:)

3:47 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and for Trey's and Britton's. After older people are gone, there are always so many questions you wish you had asked.

6:14 AM  
Anonymous beansprout said...

A sweet and wonderful tribute. My deepest sympathies to you and your family. I am sure that Britton will remember because you hold the stories and the memories so very well. And more importantly...you know how to tell them.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

And you've given Britton a lovely remembrance here. She sounds like quite a lady. (And I love that photo.)

6:58 AM  
Anonymous irene said...

that's just so beautiful. all those words are jumping in my head because this post touches me and moves me but all I can really say is that it's just so beautiful.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

That is so sweet and beautiful. Great idea writing it down so you can remember for Britton, I want to do that too for some of my family members that have already passed.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Kitty Kitty Peacock said...

Oh, Michelle. Thank you for sharing your memories of Mamaw. I would have loved to have tried her fried chicken (and zucchini bread is one of my favorites)!

I hope Trey is doing well. I know this loss is great.

7:56 AM  
Blogger --erica said...

remember and keep talking. my family is always quiet..remember out loud.
hugs to you.

8:19 AM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

Beautifully remembered. Mamaw has found a bit of immortality in your words. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.
snowsparkle

1:08 PM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

This is a beautiful memorial to Trey's grandma and also, for Britton. I'm sorry again.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous samantha said...

I'm so sorry for a loss so great. What a beautiful tribute to such a a fiesty lady. 'She chose to love me because Trey chose to love me.' I love that. Her marriage advice made me laugh...

7:42 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

What a beautiful rememberance. I'm so sorry for your loss, but surely she is living on through the love she shared. This is such a heartwarming tribute. Big hugs. ~F

10:11 AM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

Oh yes, you will remember for him so that he, too, will have the memories. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing these little things with us so we could know her just a little bit too.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home