Friday, December 23, 2005

Having a Grateful Friday


It's been a VERY busy week...finishing last minute shopping, wrapping work up before the holiday, partying, laughing, hanging out with family...and, as always, finding much to be grateful for like...

  • all the little things that make my family mine
  • having a nice long 5 day weekend
  • listening to the music of Natalie Merchant and Emmylou Harris
  • helping Britton and my nieces and nephews with Christmas crafts
  • making myself sit down to the page every day and write something, anything
  • seeing a late night showing of The Family Stone with my mom--SEE THIS MOVIE! It is excellent. I laughed and cried and laughed and cried then laughed and cried some more. It was sweet and entertaining and touching. Oh, and it helped me to settle the long time dilemma as to which Owen brother I love the most...it's Luke.
  • celebrating Christmas with my peeps...and there's more to come as the weekend begins.
  • getting Season 2 of Arrested Development from my friend Kelly
  • making homemade hot chocolate with my sister, my friend Irma and her girls...and it was good!
  • finally getting all the filing done at work--hip-hip-hooray! what a load off
  • receiving goodies in the mail...a fabulous collage from Misty Eyed Art and a very, very generous package from Lela (I've already started The Secret Life of Bees)

And you know, I'm discovering that it's not so easy to open myself up to the kindness and generosity of others. There's this little part of me that whispers, you don't deserve this goodness. There's this tiny part of me that can't just open my heart to what others want to bless me with. I'm having to make a conscious effort to not turn away from the blessings because of this voice... I'm needing to explore where it's coming from and learn to heal the wounds that want to believe the lie that says I don't deserve such a generous outpouring from complete strangers. Thank you, thank you, thank you...you are teaching me about true abundance and helping me find some much needed healing.

And I am so incredibly grateful for all the kind, wonderful, encouraging comments I've received from you all regarding Trey's grandparents. You will never know how much it has meant to me. Trey's grandfather has been moved to a rehab hospital and continues to improve every day. Trey's grandmother did experience some improvement last weekend but the doctors are pretty certain there will be no further improvements. Earlier in the week she was removed from the ventilator and is breathing on her own. When she stabilized she was moved to a hospice facility. At this time we are all just waiting... Her wishes have been honored (which is so very, very important) and we are all dealing with letting go and waiting for the time to come...

11 Comments:

Blogger bella said...

oh, i hope you enjoy your holiday. The secret life of bee's is a wonderful book.
Happy Holidays.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous lela said...

oh but you DO deserve the goodness...
you have touched me with your wonderful words. i so appreciate the comments you leave in my blog... you are so encouraging. and the things you write here are personal and expressive and beautiful.
so, let the goodness wrap around you, hold you tight... for there is something that you give to others that makes them want to give back...
xoxoxoxo

9:20 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I thought The Family Stone looked good when I saw the trailers. Glad to see the recommendation!

Wishing you a wonderful holiday weekend.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

Merry Christmas. Have a peaceful weekend.

9:34 PM  
Blogger twistedsoda said...

Oh, I loved the SECRET LIFE OF BEES! One of my favorite books! I hope you have a beautiful Christmas. Thanks for letting me peek into your life every once in a while! The best of everything to you!

2:21 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I feel grateful that I've 'met' you. You bring a truth to my daily readings on blogs and I look forward to what you have to say each day.

Merry Christmas to you and yours Michelle.

xo

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Donna-Maria said...

Thinking of you and your family during the holidays. This is a hard one for me-1st one without Dad-I'll keep Trey's Grandmother in my prayers.
Donna-Maria

4:49 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

i am grateful that i have found you! my thoughts and prayers are with you and you family and especially treys grandmother.

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Oooh, I loved The Secret Life of Bees. Glad to hear The Family Stone is worth seeing (it got a HORRIBLE review in the S.F. paper, not that that means anything.) You deserve ALL that comes to you...even better, you deserve EVEN MORE. Sometimes it can be so very hard for us to open to abundance and blessings...yet all too easy for us to open our arms to critics (both internal or external). Or maybe that's just me. ;) Wishing you a joyous holiday weekend. You bless my life daily...and I'm sure many who read here would say the same thing. Big hugs. xoxo

7:07 AM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

open your heart my friend. take a breath and feel it crack open even more. you deserve the kindness and goodness from others and from yourself. take another breath and own it even more...

7:27 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

You are so worthy of love and blessings and admiration. Your loving, giving nature shares abundantly with all of us, your friends who CHOOSE, yes we CHOOSE, to meet with you every single day. We are friens surely, and you have nothing to prove or disprove to us - at all. We want to know the true and open you.

Have a wonderful time this weekend. Receive and give bountifully. Merry Christmas!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home