Friday, December 16, 2005

Grateful Friday?...I don't know about that


If I had to rely on the events of today to compile this weeks grateful Friday list I'd be in trouble. It's been a crappy day. It all started when I was getting ready for work this morning. I kept thinking I could smell something but couldn't figure out what. Well, when I walked into Britton's room to waken him the question was answered. He had diarrhea some time in the night. Although he is potty trained he still wears a pull-up at night. And well, a pull-up doesn't hold much...need I say more. Because he had slept in his pooped-in pull-up most of the night his poor bottom was as raw and red as...well, I can't think of a good analogy. Let me just say he wouldn't even sit down in the tub and I had to bathe him while he was standing....and screaming. The screaming continued as I tried to coat is hiney with diaper cream (which I managed to locate after much rummaging around the house because after all he is two and we haven't needed that stuff in some time). And he still kept screaming as I tried to get him dressed. I wasn't going to send him to daycare upset so I called in late and spent some time holding and consoling. Eventually we made it to our morning destinations. I was hoping he had just eaten something bad and it had passed in the night. Well, about 11:00 I got a call to pick him up from daycare. So I have spent my day with a child who has an upset stomach. But it doesn't end there. After running errands tonight I got home only to realize I must have left my journal, my precious journal, the companion of my soul, in one of the shopping carts. Said journal contained the gratitude list I'd been compiling all week...and tomorrow's MamaSaysOm letter and some other poems and thoughts. Oh how I wish I could say that was then end but it's not. After putting the groceries away and eating supper I decided to finish up the laundry I had started earlier in the day. While setting the timer on the dryer I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. Something small and brown and quick. Yes, the worst possible thing in the world...A MOUSE. After running down the hall hysterically to inform Trey I had just seen a mouse in the utility room he counters with, Oh yeah, I saw one IN OUR BEDROOM last night and I saw one run out from under the couch a couple weeks ago. WHAT!!??!! And you failed to tell me. He said he forgot. On top of all this there has been the constant worry and concern about Trey's grandparents. Yesterday they were in a terrible car accident. Trey spent the day traveling to Amarillo to see how they are doing. I opted to stay here as a hospital isn't much of a place for two-year-olds, especially two-year-olds with a tummy ache and diarrhea. His ninety year old grandfather was admitted for observation but seems to be doing well. He's pretty banged up and has quite a shiner but other than that he's okay. His grandmother on the other hand is not doing so well. She was in surgery last night until midnight. She has some internal bleeding and some bleeding on the brain. She's been in a coma all day and her brain has continued to swell and bleed. Right now it's just a waiting game. I would greatly appreciate you keeping them both in your thoughts and prayers.

*Sigh*...as you can see it's been a rough day. I'm so tired right now I can't even attempt to recreate the gratitude list I'd been working on all week. So today I will have to say that I'm grateful for family and the love and support that carries us through during times of crisis. And I'm grateful Britton seems to be feeling better and I haven't had to clean up poop for several hours now. And I'm grateful for a warm home (even if mice find it nice and warm too.)

In the meantime, please stop by and welcome ArtsyMama to the blogging world. She just began her blog a couple of weeks ago so is new to the wonderful world of blogging. She has some really great art to check out.

22 Comments:

Blogger melba said...

Wow, what a day you had. Maybe someone will turn your journal into the front desk at the grocery store, just call...you never know... And if it is gone for good, well your (wonderful and inspiring) words are out there and maybe they are helping someone else get through their day. I am thinking about you and sending positive energy your way!

8:26 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

oh my dear blogging friend. I send you hot tea, moments for quiet meditation, healing energy for Trey's grandparents, the warm glow of a fire, the hope that those mice get out of your house! and the knowledge that you have the strength in you to do it all again tomorrow. peace to you and your family.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I feel for you... Sounds like a rough day and the remark about seeing a mouse would have unnerved me. I saw one in our bathroom a few weeks ago and flipped out! I think, or at least hope it made it's way out... Here's to better days. I am praying for Trey's grandparents..

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Oh, Michelle, I'm so sorry you've had such a horrid day. I feel for you re the mouse...we just discovered a couple of days ago we have one in the office. I will, of course, hold good thoughts for Trey's grandparents. Hope you're getting some rest. Here's my gratitude list for the day: That I can come to places like this site and read words like yours to remind me what's really important.

2:05 AM  
Blogger twistedsoda said...

Oh my...what a crappy day you had!! Sorry for the pun. My heart goes out to you! It never fails though...it always seems to rain down bad all at the same time sometimes! I had a bad one too...but that is another story! Tomorrow WILL be better!

2:22 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

Meeses are the most freaky thing for me, god they scare me to death! I'm really sorry about Trey's grandparents and they are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm also sorry for your shitty day (literally) although I'm MOST impressed that Britton is potty-trained and only 2!!

Perhaps someone turned in your journal? I hope it comes back to you. And I also hope your weekend is better than your Friday.

xoxo

3:26 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

oh...that is awful...
i wish i could say something to make you feel better..
i will definately keep your family in my thoughts and hope everything turns out all right...

and as acumamakiki said maybe the journal will come back to you...i had lost a backback (while drunk, whole other story) containing the book i had started writing to ten when she was born and my 2 books of "lists"...and a year later, the backpack came back with books intact...)

5:54 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

Poor little thing - you and Britton. What an awful day. It's never just one thing.

I will be prayerful for Trey's grandparents today. What a sad thing for such elderly people.

I hope the weekend is all upward.

7:11 AM  
Blogger bella said...

Holy Smokes..
Poor baby bottom! I hope he feels better soon. Stomach bugs are the worst, especially when it's your child that has one.
Keeping Trey's grandparents in my thoughts.
Tomorrow will be a better day.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous courtney said...

Big Hugs sent your way :) I will keep your family in my prayers. I know it's silly but what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger...so if nothing else after a day like that you've just quadrupled your strength :)

7:55 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Awwww (((Michelle))). Sending lots and lots of good thoughts your way and hoping things are better today.

And I'll echo what some others have said - call any stores you were in yesterday and ask about your journal! Even if you called yesterday, call again today and double check. Someone may turn it in.

8:04 AM  
Blogger dpsinger said...

big hugs and lots of prayers for you and your family. ~dps

8:10 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

O my gosh, that is all so horrible, I'm so so sorry, poor Britton, that is the worst. I hope it all gets better soon for you and your family.

8:16 AM  
Blogger ESB said...

ack. I FEEL YOUR PAIN. so sorry about your day. but, in my experience, the day AFTER one of those days is usually much better. i wonder if the full moon had anything to do with yesterday? my day was pretty crappy, as well, and so was everyone else's.....

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

What a terrible no good day! Hope your family is healing and feeling better soon. Hugs from me.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Michelle Fry said...

I'm thinking of you and sending good thoughts to Trey's grandparents.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Oh you poor thing. I hope today is a gazillion time better, Britton recovers asap and Trey's grandparents recover quickly.

I hope a kind soul safegaurds your journal and it gets returned safely.

And I suggest a Perfect KittyKatto take care of your new mice houseguests :O)

12:19 PM  
Blogger ArtsyMama said...

I hope things are much better for you today. Is your wee man feeling better? Hope so! Keeping Trey's grandparents in my thoughts. You take care.

1:13 PM  
Blogger lisa s said...

that is a lot to deal with.... keep breathing.... hang in there!

1:46 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

Sending lots of loving energy your way. I think your Friday tops the charts for being badder than bad. Hope all gets better soon. -- Big hugs-- Snowsparkle

5:53 PM  
Blogger Frankie said...

Oh dear girlfriend, I am SO sorry. Why is it bad luck is always accompanied by more bad luck? I really hope that things get better. I'd kind of like to think that some wonderful person found your journal in the shopping cart, and reads it over and over thinking about you and the amazing person you must be. It's a sad thing to lose, but perhaps a phenomenal gift to accidentally give someone. I know I'd feel blessed to find it. I sincerely hope that things look better in the morning for you!! I'll be thinking of you!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Misty Mawn said...

oh my feelings are with you!!!

When I have days like these I put in John Lennon..."No one told me there would be days like these" and blast it...over and over. It makes me feel so much better!

I hope you are feeling better!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home