Sunday, December 04, 2005

Bliss List


I've been inspired by Oprah to create my own personal bliss list. To me, bliss is about self-indulgence. It's about caring enough about yourself to know what truly makes you happy. It's about cherishing the little things. And, it's not about feeling guilty later but about genuine appreciation. So here are just a few things that top my BLISS LIST...

  • a long ritualistic bath at the end of a hard day (including relaxing scents, candlelight and soothing music)
  • a weekend matinee
  • that last paragraph of a book that has sucked me in - the emotion of reading those last words, sometimes having to re-read them multiple times just to let them take over me
  • a nourishing meal with delicious meat, fresh veggies, and hearty whole grains
  • the salad bar at MarketStreet
  • grabbing my camera and taking myself on a "photo date"
  • meeting good friends at La Diosa (my favorite night spot)
  • a manicure and pedicure
  • a hug "just because"
  • the first time I flip through the pages of a new issue of one of my favorite magazines
  • my weekly alone night (one of the smartest things I insisted on after becoming a mother)
So what about you? What brings you bliss?

There is a dog I sometimes take for a walk
and turn loose in a
field,
when I can't give her that freedom
I feel in debt.
I hope God thinks like that and
is keeping track of all
the bliss He
owes
me.
I Hope God Thinks Like That by Rabia

13 Comments:

Anonymous Dina said...

Bliss to me is feeling comfortable in my own skin. A quiet house. See's Dark Chocolate Scotchmallow. Ignoring housework and cultivating the soul. Creating. Feeling a sense of purpose. No guilt. Good friends. Good food. Living an examined life. Daydreams. Babies just out of the bathtub & in snuggly jammies. Bliss is living.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Gorgeous photo, Michelle, and an inspiring list. I love the idea of doing this, but rather than hogging space on your comments I'll plan to do my own Bliss List post sometime this week. Thanks for listing yours!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

Love the idea of a bliss list. Much better than the boring old to-do lists I'm always making for myself.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

So many things come to mind... I loved reading your list.

8:59 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

Such a good list. The last paragraph of the book - I know that feeling. For me I am sometimes sad to come to the end of the book but then so thankful that those words are now a part of my soul. I love going to a bookstore by myself and wandering through the aisles discovering so many new friends and rediscovering old ones on the shelves.

11:14 PM  
Blogger dani said...

love the photo! they're like deep red hearts.

bliss is that exquisite feeling you can have doing almost anything that then makes you really aware of how good you are actually feeling.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

Simple. Beautiful. Heartfelt. I love the part about reading the last lines of a book...Thanks for warming my heart.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Misty Mawn said...

Wonderful List~

...for me it's many things... finding a cd I love and listening to it over and over again...a walk on the beach...an awesome dinner...followed by the perfect cup of coffee...reading about other people's lives on their blogs...

6:29 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

love the photo
and
love the list...
:)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

I was saying uh huh throughout your list, and then just kept thinking of more that bring me bliss. What a great exercise! You're so smart.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Swirly said...

* Long hot showers
* Getting ready for bed at night - which is a ritual I am fiercely devoted to - with a mini-facial with all of my favorite Origins skin care goodies.
* A late night hot bath
* My morning cafe au laits
* A great movie
* Fun stuff in my mailbox
* Inspiring friends, stories, blogs, artwork and music
* Laughing my head off

9:28 PM  
Anonymous wendy said...

lovely photo
what a great list
photo date - love that one
love all of them

4:08 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

oh yesyesyes! yes to this list... and you have probably already seen what brings me bliss over on my blog... we are thinking alike these days, yes?

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home