Monday, November 28, 2005

A Tale of Two Michelle's


The little girl in me has been trying to get my attention for days now.
She's needing something from me,
although I'm not exactly certain what.
Perhaps she's feeling neglected, ignored, forgotten.
Maybe she's just frustrated and lonely.
I'm sure she would be happy to tell me,
it's not a secret she's trying to hide.
I just haven't been all that willing to listen.
Giving her what she needs isn't easy.
One might think it would be simple,
after all she is as demanding as any two-year-old,
but it's not.
The adult in me often wants to pretend the little girl no longer exists.
Yes, the adult often thinks the little girl should have grown up by now,
that she should be a woman,
fearless,
strong,
wise,
slaying demons,
drying tears,
loving selflessly,
and healing the world.
And I am...
I am this woman,
this proud warrior woman,
with a full and open heart,
ready to fight for truth and justice and beauty.
But I am also still this little girl,
the one with the bashful grin,
the skinned knees,
the cute pigtails,
the magical imagination,
the resilient spirit,
and the heart overflowing with unconditional love,
and she needs me too.
She wants to be seen,
she needs to be recognized,
and she has something sacred to teach me
if only I'll slow down long enough to pay attention,
if only I'll step aside and let her shine,
if only I'll have the compassion to take her in my arms,
if only I'll have the courage to look into her tear-streaked face.
Yes, she's still here,
that same little girl I knew years ago,
alive and well,
thriving in the radiant corners of my spirit,
and I'm grateful for her enduring presence,
even when I've doubted her direction,
even when I'm uncertain about living from the center of her precious, vulnerable heart.

20 Comments:

Blogger kiki said...

i love this picture of the figurine

7:44 PM  
Anonymous wendy said...

you have an amazing way with words.
I feel like I have the same little girl, well not the same one, but similar
what a great way to give her voice.
maybe she can help with your boy??

7:49 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

You sum up the way I've been feeling beautifully. What exquisite words. I'm grateful for what you've shared . .

7:57 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fry said...

She definitely has something sacred to teach with you and I'm glad you are sharing it with us.

8:25 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

I love this. The warrior woman and the little girl. You have created an amazing image here. Something for me to roll around in my heart and head for a little while to see what comes up. (and the figurine - my mom has had the november one since she was 16 - love it!)

9:27 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

Absolutely beautiful.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous courtney said...

I loved it!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

We are, all of us, multi faceted.

weak, strong, old, young, wise, naive.

Sometimes we have to listen to our inner voices a little harder, don't we?

10:10 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

i loved how you described
the little girl
with the skinned knees,
bashful smile
and cute pigtails
:)

3:31 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

This makes me want to give the little girl a hug. And the warrior woman too!

6:06 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

First off, I love the figurine it's so pretty and I assume it's vintage?

What an unbelievably honest picture of your heart and who you are. Yes, the warrior woman perseveres (sp?) but remembering the little girl, the joyful being that we are/were is what makes us beautiful.

Thank you, as always, for sharing.

6:59 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

the little girl will never leave you! oh the joy...

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

"thriving in the radiant corners of my spirit"...wonderful line. I often wonder too if I will ever meet up with the little girl I left behind so many years ago.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Donna Maria said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. It seems so strange to have such feelings, doesn't it?

9:09 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

Beautiful, just beautiful. My life has been a constant struggle between childhood and being an adult, between my head and my heart, between being practical and being impractical. Finding a balance is so difficult, as you've so poetically expressed. I hope you find some kind of combination of the two that brings you peace.

11:35 AM  
Blogger hnp said...

thanks for the comment. i am thankful for the little girl still within me. she is who i turn to when i need to be reminded that i was once so innocent...and that there is beauty in that...

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Ashmonkey said...

wonderful picture and beautifully written!

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Caasi said...

Hi there!

I really like your blog! You're writing is very good.

It's amazing the pressure we put on ourselves to grow up and become responsible adults that can live a full adult life, but that child in us needs attention as well. Who would we be if we couldn't be a little childish every now and again?

Thank you for commenting on my SPT entry!

I'd like to link to you on my blog.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

Give her the time or she will find a way to take it.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Karina said...

How do you do it everyday?

This makes me realize the little girl in me needs the women in me. She could use a little guidence.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home