Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Monsters


I suspected this day would come eventually...
Monsters have invaded our lives.
Monsters down the hallway.
Monsters in the dark.
Monsters in the closet.
Monsters under the bed.
Monsters in the next room.
How do I slay them for you
so you don't carry the fear inside?
How do I convince you these particular monsters don't exist?
How do I teach you that the monsters that do exist
aren't bones and blood and gore
but very often look just like me and you?
And you'll learn in good time
that there are certain "monsters" within
you'll fight your entire life,
sometimes winning,
sometimes loosing,
until you finally embrace that which you've feared and despised the most.
I wish there was a way to protect you from any knowledge of monsters.
But I can't.
I know that much.
It's a part of life we'll have to face together.
The fearful mystery of monsters.
Monsters that mommy can't always slay,
monsters that suddenly appear out of nowhere,
and in a place you thought was safe.
Monsters that haunt your dreams
and lurk in the dark corners of your fears.
Now they exist
and your world is forever changed.

16 Comments:

Blogger Trish said...

WOW! Chills reading this. I felt like you knew of my secret monsters...

How do you do it? :O)

7:27 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Aw, monsters already? It doesn't seem fair. :-/

8:11 PM  
Blogger Marit Cooper said...

The challenge of Monsters often bring out the best in us. Every Monster, inside or out, provides the opportunity for a Hero/ine.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post. sooooooo inspiring. I can so relate.

2:05 AM  
Anonymous irene said...

um, that was me right above.

2:06 AM  
Blogger dani said...

yes monsters are a tough one. hope you can alleviate your son's fears soon.

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Oooh, this is a big one... Because once we've crossed that monster line, do we ever go back? Or over the years do we just trade-in our monsters for newer and badder...and slicker...versions?

5:32 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

i used to have a spray bottle
and it had magic powers and i would spray it and they would go away. it was a bedtime favorite!

5:43 AM  
Blogger ESB said...

Good lord! what is that thing? it scared the living daylights outta me!!!

5:45 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I like the magic spray bottle that sprays away monsters, goblins and things that go bump in the dark.

The beauty of monsters is their imagination flourishing. It's wondeful to cultivate it while assuaging his fears.

5:46 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

"six" was so busy being afraid
of weather
(snow, rain, thunder,wind, tornados,etc)
that he didn't have time
to think about monsters...

(not that we get extreme weather
where we are, he's just odd like his
mother...heehee)

6:28 AM  
Blogger Glamorous Jo said...

I'm still a little afraid of monsters under the bed.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

So sweet. And so poignant, especially the monsters that "look just like me and you."

8:52 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I didn't see the picture ~ good lord, where did you find such a creepy evil ghosty??

9:42 AM  
Blogger ESB said...

i know--i was home alone this morning, and got really scared, just thinking about it! i couldn't get the picture out of my head! i'm STILL scared!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

where did u take this pic...it is AWESOME!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home