Thursday, November 10, 2005

Living with a Limp


To say I have no regrets wouldn't be true.
I do have regrets-
friendships lost,
opportunities never seized,
fears followed,
lies told,
choices made,
words left unsaid,
and most of all
those moments I failed to listen,
to my heart,
to my gut,
to my spirit,
all those small turning aways
from a self who knew more
than I gave her credit for.
So my regrets exist,
that bittersweet limp that remains
after wrestling with the angels,
angels that touch the core of your being,
leaving you changed forever,
marred by the strength of their holy presence.
But the limp does come with knowing
I have lived,
despite the desire to re-do a few things.
A lived life is a life with some regrets.
Living and regretting seem to hold hands though time,
offering always the choice to grow or decay.
And all I know to do with the regret is
resign myself to it's existence,
breathe into it,
acknowledge the hurt and
the lessons learned,
struggle through the pain,
and live with the limp.

7 Comments:

Blogger telfair said...

really beautiful...

6:59 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

oh so true - i am always irritated when people say they wouldn't change a thing...in my head i am always yelling out "liars".

life is so messy, how could there not be something left behind or
need to be cleaned up. those are what makes up rise - live - breath

7:17 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

The other day I told my friend I was happy because I was wearing red shoes... here I see you wearing them as well. Lovely in your photo, and in your words. Thanks as always for opening another door to my inner thoughts, dear friend. big hugs, snowsparkle

10:14 PM  
Blogger Marit Cooper said...

The knowledge that the pain made us more human, more sensitive to other peoples suffering, wiser and ultimately stronger, makes the scars easier to bear. You limp with grace Michelle :-)

2:43 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

Words taken from my heart sister-girlfriend. Just beautiful and I love the photo, especially with the fallen leaves....poetic justice I say.

2:58 AM  
Blogger dpsinger said...

Today's post is just beautiful. I have printed it out and plan to read it again and again. Brilliant writing!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Michelle Fry said...

Beautiful. Your "limp" is lovely.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home