Thursday, November 03, 2005

Letting Go


To live in this world
you must be able
to do three things:
to love what is mortal;
to hold it
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.
from In Blackwater Woods by Mary Oliver


The loving I do so well.
It comes easily,
it's my heart,
my nature.
I love quietly but
deeply and loyally.
It's nothing for me
to treasure a laugh,
a look, a gesture,
a memory, a moment.
My heart holds them all
always.
But the letting go...
the letting go I'm not so good at.
Even when I know what I hold
no longer exists
and is only grief and memory,
even when I know what I hold
is no longer beneficial
and that letting go is choosing life,
even when continuing to hold
is crippling my soul
and I know in the end I'll have to let go,
yes, even then it's difficult.
My aching arms, my gripping fingers,
my tired and bruised heart,
none of these ever seem ready
for the letting go.
PS - this monster-less, flower-full pic is for you E.

14 Comments:

Blogger ESB said...

You're a peach (planting kiss on cheek).


I totally hear on on the letting go, and I'm the same way.

Thanks for the lovely entry.

8:48 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

It is like you have looked into my soul as you write these words. Thank you.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

You're doing some really deep, fabulous writing here. Beautifully said.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

letting go is the hardest part. beautifully said.

1:57 AM  
Blogger dani said...

again so well said. you really are one of the good ones!!! it is so nice to have found you.

3:18 AM  
Blogger Suse said...

and just to break the mood entirely, I have to ask ... what on earth is a brown broom stick skirt?!!

Most intrigued. Want to SEE one.

(Demanding, moi?)

5:06 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

Oh my...this is so beautiful.

6:02 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

ditto...liz
amen!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I like this line the best
"I love quietly but
deeply and loyally.
It's nothing for me
to treasure a laugh,
a look, a gesture,
a memory, a moment." That is so beautiful

10:38 AM  
Blogger jenclair said...

Sometimes things come to you when you need them - and these poems arrive at just that point in my life when I'm being forced to let go of someone I love very much, and I described the grief to my doctor as "my heart feels bruised."

12:15 PM  
Blogger Living Part Deux said...

Especially hard - letting go of your children. That is a sacrament that must be observed on a daily basis from the moment they are born until the day you die.

Great writing.

1:34 PM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

You write words that speak to my heart. thank you, I needed this today.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Dina said...

Beautiful, very honest & real.

2:03 PM  
Blogger David E. Patton said...

These are some wonderfull poems I really like thenm a lot.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home