Monday, October 10, 2005

Sharing Silverstein

One of my prized purchases from this weekend's booksale is a slightly water damaged copy of Shel Silverstein's Falling Up. I was so pleased with this find because I have long been a Silverstein fan and this book was missing from my collection. I can remember being introduced to Mr. Silverstein's clever rhymes and equally clever illustrations in about 4th grade. I have since appreciated his genius and have gifted other young readers in my life with their own copies of his much beloved works. When I brought Britton home from the hospital I would read poems aloud from Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic as he dozed in my arms or fed from my breast. And now that he is older I continue to share these modern-day-mother-goose classics with him in hopes that it is instilling an early love of poetry that will continue through his life. Here are a couple of new found favorites from my new treasure.

The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
"I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you - just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.

New World

Upside-down trees swingin' free
Busses float and buildings dangle:
Now and then it's nice to see
The world- from a different angle.

6 Comments:

Anonymous ivy said...

I have always loved shel silverstein, I've only recently started reading his poetry to my kids. They don't seem to be able to grasp how wonderful it is, but I think they will one day.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Marit Cooper said...

I'm sure that he will appreciate it and grow deeper roots for it too. I've always felt that reading about things, hearing about them, won't substitute experience, but it prepares us for it. Even if children don't understand something when they first encounter it, if and when they have an experience that relates to it they will feel that "Ahaa, that's what it meant!" and be more aware and awake to the experience for it. You are a wonderful mother!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Marit Cooper said...

By the way, if this had been Flickr I would have made that picture a 'Fave'

6:15 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

all right...
that confirms it.

you and i need to exchange
email addresses
and actual addresses
so that i can actually write
to you and not just in comments...

we just have too damn much in common
(i have been keep a list ...)
heehee

i have read at least
four of those books that you show
and i have SUCH a list
of other books you would love...

oh..
and i'm not a stalker
or anything
i'm just desperately
looking for people that i
connect with...
:)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love him too. I grew up reading and looking through his books. My sister actually has 2 tattoo's of his illustrations. Maybe she'll post them on her blog for us all to see.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

The curly cues in the photo are precious.
" The Voice" is priceless!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home