Thursday, October 20, 2005

Randomness


I have been tagged by both Momster and Navy Lane (I feel so popular!) to list 20 random things about myself. So here goes:

  1. I move my lips when I read. I've been told by others around me that this is a very annoying habit. I can't help it. It's just a thing I do. I can't concentrate on what I'm reading unless I can kind of hear myself say the words.
  2. Robert Redford is my favorite actor ever. When I was in 6th grade I would check out one of his biographies from the library then set it up at my desk and have afternoon tea with him.
  3. I seldom drink without a straw - in fact, I'm pretty easy to order for at a restaurant: water with a lemon and a straw. Straws both save my lipstick (I hate to reapply) and save my teeth (they're sensitive.)
  4. In Jr High I gave my heart to Bruce Springsteen and he will always have it. I love him.
  5. I rarely leave the house without the following items: debit card, tube of lipstick, journal, pen, camera, and book of some sort.
  6. Yes, I still fantasize about being a rock star (move over Sheryl Crow), a famous actress (Julia who?), or a talented director (stealing the Oscar right out from under Sophia Coppola's nose).
  7. I once rear ended a woman at a stop light because I literally could not put down the Dean Koontz book I was reading. It was a stop light, I thought I had quit rolling, apparently I hadn't.
  8. I like to give books as gifts and these are some of my favorites to give family and friends: The Velveteen Rabbit, Alice in Wonderland, To Kill a Mockingbird, Eat Mangos Naked, Succulent Wild Women, and 10 Poems to Change Your Life.
  9. My most embarrassing moment? Well I can't speak of that because it's too embarrassing but I'll give you some clues: it involves being naked, an ex-boyfriend, his backyard in the wee hours of the morning, and his insomniac father deciding to take out the trash.
  10. I've often been accused of being selfish with myself. I don't really get that but I can say people do tend to drain me of energy and it takes me awhile to warm up to people
  11. I was once asked what kind of dog I was most like and decided I'm a cat.
  12. You will never, ever see me with a lucky rabbits foot. Those things are just gross.
  13. I frequently dine alone and often go to the movies solo. I enjoy my own company.
  14. I consider myself to be very inconsistent. In fact, about the only thing consistent about me is my inconsistency. There is absolutely nothing I can think of that I do everyday without fail. The closest it comes is my new found love of blogging.
  15. I really want a PhD. Maybe one day...then I can change the name of my blog from la vie en rose to Dr. Michelle.
  16. The one area of my life I'm not very satisfied with is my job. The job itself is okay and the people I work with are wonderful but I often feel like I'm wasting away behind a computer when I could be using my talent and creativity for something more than data entry.
  17. I've recently realized that I don't really read a lot of fiction. I generally prefer memoir/journal/essay type books, especially travel type journals like Without Reservations, Educating Alice, and Under the Tuscan Sun.
  18. If I were at a talent show and I had to present my hidden talent it would be sneaking just about any kind of food into the theater (I know, I know, you're not supposed to do that). What can I say I learned from the best - my mother. She can sneak a three course meal in her purse and once brought in an entire pizza...wrapping each individual slice up in foil.
  19. I live for the Oscars. That is quite possibly my favorite night of the year and generally I share the evening with my good friend Cherri who loves the Oscars equally as much as I do. She and I don't exchange gifts at Christmas or for our bithday but we do give Oscar gifts. I try to see all the Oscar contending movies prior to awards night and people know they are not to try and contact me that evening unless it's an emergency. Oh, and I take off the next day...hey, I have to watch the after parties.
  20. I'm terrified of rodents of all shapes and sizes - mice, rats, squirrels, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs. Ugh! Britton will never, ever have a rodent for a pet. One time when I had mice at my apartment I couldn't sleep at night. I swore I could hear them scurrying around in the kitchen squeaking back and forth to one another.

So now I'm tagging Steve because he hasn't been blogging lately and perhaps this will give him some blogging material.

16 Comments:

Anonymous irene said...

ooh ooh I enjoyed reading this!!!

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Jane said...

Love the photo of the pansy.

Thanks for your comment about sleepovers. I should have mentioned that I actually have more sleepovers here than the children go to elsewhere and this is so I can see what's going on. Of course, they love staying up late, but there are limits, and I think that if you are firm but fair, everyone has a good time.

12:46 AM  
Blogger sheela said...

fantastic! made me smile...

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Donna Maria said...

Oh my gosh, you and I are such kindred spirits! You have me in stitches right now thinking of your mother wrapping an entire pizza and smuggling it into the theatre! And the "most embarrassing moment" entry! Yikes! I am dying over here! I love it! :)

4:52 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I love this post! The pansy is lovely. My grandmother used to have a little collection of pansies growing in these sweet little pastel planters. Pansies are dear to me because of that.

I live for reading books. I rarely read anything other than fiction, I need to be taken away.

I also hope to get a doctorate in Chinese Medicine someday. My husband can't hear anything about school (after 4 years of grad school). The programs are also very new and not offered at many schools, I'm hoping in a few years there will be more modules and more locations.

6:08 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

great list! when i read it, i
realized, that you seem to be
a lot like me!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Great list. I love that you want to get a Phd very impressive. I don't like rodents either. I also love love love all award shows especially the Oscars. That's funny about the pizza.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You took # 16 right out of my thoughts. As a matter of fact, I have heard another co-worker mention how you are waisting your time in front of your computer screen. You never seem to amaze me/us. You have so much talent and love to offer (to say the least)!!. I am very lucky to know you personally.

11:28 AM  
Blogger mati rose said...

i feel like i know you so much better now:) thanks for your well wishes!!

11:51 AM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

This is great! A glimpse into the idiosyncrasies that make you who you are. I love the idea of the Oscar gifts - one of my favorite nights of television too. And I am laughing out loud about the slices of pizza.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Glamorous Jo said...

I once tried to sneak a Route 44 Cherry Limeaide into the theater, but the greasy 15-year-old-power-tripper busted me and made me drink it in the lobby or throw it away. I think we all knwo what happened next.....I was late to the movie.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Love the list. #5 - The whole debit card thing really took off while we were out of the country and the banks in the islands didn't have them. But NOW? I'm totally into my debit card...so much so, that I forget to carry cash. #19 - I used to be like that. I'd watch most years with my mother--she was as fanatical as me. We wouldn't let anyone else join us...because they might TALK! :) #20 - Oh, I am SO with you on this one...

5:27 PM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

This list is too funny....i am glad that we were all tagged...i tagged u too, but didn't realize u had been tagged already...oh well.

12:34 AM  
Blogger ESB said...

This is a very belated comment..I meant to add earlier that you're the first person I've encountered who loves Robert Redford like me!!! He absolutely did me in, in The Way We Were, so much so that I brought him up in my therapy....ulp.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

You and I are a lot alike. I, too, feel as if I'm wasting something creative by sitting at a desk all day. I haven't, however, rear-ended anyone because I was reading! That's hilarious!!

9:03 AM  
Blogger FreeThinker said...

That Sheryl Crow concert at the Greek Theatre was a good-rockin' event!

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home