Monday, October 03, 2005

Marking the Moments of My Life

The first one I got on the back of my right shoulder about a year and a half after my divorce. My life was opening up in ways I'd never imagined. I was growing and changing so rapidly and I felt the first whiffs of real freedom. For the first time in my life I was actually owning my life, taking it into my own hands, understanding responsibility not as a loaded word with negative connotations, but for the simple truth of the word - the ability to respond, anyway, anyhow, to my own choosing. I wanted to commemorate this new way of being, to mark it in a way I'd never forget. It wasn't the image I originally went in to the the tattoo parlor with. I'd wanted the encircled flower from Tom Petty's Wildflowers album. But Tim, the tattoo artist, had to tweak it to keep the size down. A mighty fine job he did too. And in a way, by making these changes it became more my own.

The second one was to mark the next major shift in my life: motherhood. It is a bee to honor my "B" - Britton, a child I'd waited for a very long time, a child I wasn't expecting, a child I'd pretty much given up on, a child I never thought would be mine as both my PCP and my Ob/Gyn said I wasn't ovulating any longer, a child that arrived a month before my 3oth birthday, a child that has changed and rearranged my whole life in so many ways. Tim, the same tattoo artist, had also grown older and now had a child himself, born about the same time as Britt. So as he did his work transferring my rough draft into a major miracle we chatted about parenthood and he shared the drawing he was creating for the tattoo that would honor his daughter's arrival into his life.

So the next major life shift? I don't know. It could be right around the corner. It could be right now but I won't be able to recognize it until further on down the road. Whenever it comes, I'm ready. And I still have plenty of room to mark them...

You belong among the wild flowers
You belong in a boat out at sea
Sail away, kill off the hours
You belong somewhere you feel free
Wildflowers by Tom Petty

12 Comments:

Anonymous Marilyn said...

Discovered you through the comments at Loudenmouth. I'll be back...

3:54 AM  
Anonymous yolie said...

These are beautiful! Especially the bee. I've always wanted one but am such a baby about pain! Oh and I just finished a book titled The Tattoo Artist by Jill Ciment about a woman/artist who goes to a southseas island in the 20's and winds up staying there for over 30 years and comes back to the states covered in tattoos. I loved her descriptions and reasons behind them.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Jane said...

Thanks for your comment. I really enjoyed reading your story - fantastic.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Those are such cute tattoo's, I really like the little bee.

11:06 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I just finished taking pictures of my tattoos for next week's documentary series. (=
Thank you for coming to visit my blog.

11:35 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

funny...
another similiarity?

i got my first (heh, and only, so far)
tattoo
after the messy break up of
first relationship...

and it was also the first time
i felt free
in a long time...
on so many different levels...

mine is the grinch
by the way...

12:54 PM  
Blogger dani said...

nice tatts!

3:07 PM  
Blogger madness rivera said...

Beautiful story how your baby came to be (bee?).

3:52 PM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

i love that bee...so cute!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

That is beautiful ... I have a personal connection with "The Bees" first of all I am a huge fan or shall I say advocate for Bee Products. Pollen being my # 1 choice food. It has every trace mineral and amino acid, so easy for our bodys to assimilate.Keeps my energy high and my body fit. Then theres Royal Jelly. Only the Queen bee eats the jelly in the hive and she lives 10 times longer than all the worker bees.
Lets not forget propolis, natures natural antibiotic! Bees are truly amazing creatures! You picked a perfect symbol for life and growth! Does not surprise me.

12:10 PM  
Blogger dpsinger said...

they are almost addicting, huh? I can't wait to get my third :)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Marit Cooper said...

I've thought about getting a tattoo, but I can't quite make up my mind... a raven seems like the most obvious choice of course. That bee is adorable, he did a good job there.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home