Saturday, October 22, 2005

MamaSaysOm - Water


I found this really great site on Heather's blog and decided to participate. Before Britton was born I started a journal for him. I kept it pretty regularly the first couple years of his life. Then once he turned 2 I kind of let it slip away. In fact I think I may have only made 1 or 2 entries since April. So I thought these weekly prompts would be great material to use as weekly letters to my son. It will be like journaling to him...only on my blog (which I tend to update much more regularly than I do any journal.)

Dear Britt,

Life is like water,
if you fight it, thrashing and grasping,
you'll surely drown,
but if you relax and lean back into it,
trusting its goodness,
you'll float.
Life is like water,
the more you splash around,
wetting everything around you,
the more fun you'll have and
the more joy you'll find in the experience.
Life is like water,
the deeper you dive,
pushing below into the deep darkness,
the more treasure you will find
just laying there waiting for you.
Life is like water,
there's a time to swim
and a time to float -
wisdom comes in knowing
which to do when.
Life is like water,
sometimes the current is fierce and
you're afraid of being swept away and
it takes all your strength
just to stand firm
but you can stand firm.
Life is like water,
it can sometimes choke you unexpectedly,
and leave you weak, gasping and sputtering,
but it is also so refreshing,
and renewing and healing.
Life is like water,
large and mysterious,
laying out in front of you,
welcoming you to take a swim,
inviting you into its majesty.
Life is like water,
it continually ebbs and flows
and the secret is to go with its movement,
letting it carry you and
trusting its direction.

Jump in,
Mommy

*******************

family and friends, click here to view pics from last night's Halloween extravaganza

13 Comments:

Blogger kiki said...

what a beautiful truth to share with your son.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

That is great, what a good idea, I have a journal for my kids to that I hardly ever update. This is a great idea.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Two of the Mama Says Om contributors have long been on my blogroll...and I'm enjoying being new readers of the other two. Beautiful letter...great idea. (I peeked at the photos, too...what a FUN time!)

6:35 PM  
Blogger christina said...

What a wonderful way of responding to our theme! Glad to find you too!

6:57 PM  
Blogger dani said...

love the whole piece about water. just so true and divine.

7:18 PM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

This is lovely, but then you know I think just about all of your posts are. Thank you for blogrolling me, I feel honored.

8:44 PM  
Blogger *aimee* said...

What a great entry! I love the idea of journaling to and for your child. I've thought about keeping a pregnancy journal, should that time ever arise, but I never considered going on. Your son will treasure your time and insight.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Toryssa said...

Beautiful, and your Boy is adorable.

4:04 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

i also keep sporadic journals for both my kids starting from birth til now...
ten's is two books long
and six is getting there :)
but you have inspired me to dig them
out and get back at it...

also, i am copying what you wrote
(if you don't mind, of course :) )
and putting it into my own journal
for easy retrieval...
i loved what you wrote
it is so true
and yet the funny thing is
i can't swim
heh.
:)

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Kitty Kitty Peacock said...

Excellent. A loving and heartful entry for your biggest fan.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Well said!

8:52 AM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

A beautiful gift for your son and for you. You will give him a glimpse into who you were at this time in your journey, and remember yourself when you look back at it. I would love to be able to look at my mother's hopes and dreams for me when I was your son's age. I love this idea.

9:32 PM  
Blogger bee said...

such a beautiful and moving entry...and a wonderful idea to share with your son.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home