Saturday, October 29, 2005

MamaSaysOm - Fire



Dear Britton,
Your spirit is a fire,
bold, fierce, and warm.
It crackles and sizzles,
and I love to watch its burning.
At times it explodes
and I struggle to know how to balance
its radiant expression
with the discipline I'm responsible for as a parent.
Sometimes the fire burns rapidly and I fear the loss of control.
I feel frustrated and want to harness its brightness,
but then I remember it's not my light,
it's yours, and I'm here to help you see and appreciate its radiance.
Your fire will burn and rage and simmer,
it must.
In time, you'll come to understand
that many people and experiences you encounter
want to either squelch your flame
or harness it and claim it as their own.
And when you've made that realization,
I want you to remember it belongs to you,
it's your fire.
If there are times when the fire has dimmed and is merely
a flicker, almost invisible,
salvage that small spark and work fiercely to
fan it back to life.
It can be trusted.
The fire's transformational power is a gift
of wisdom and discernment,
innately knowing what needs to be consumed
for new life to spring forth.
Your spirit is a fire
that is so precious, powerful, unique, and radiant.

Burn brightly my sweet one,
Mommy

16 Comments:

Blogger Kelvin said...

There are times when it's hard to find the right words & this is one of those times !!! Great blog - I'll be back to visit some more

8:38 PM  
Blogger *aimee* said...

Absolutely beautiful...and inspiring. We could all use the reminder, from time to time, on how to treat and respond to our own fire. Have you ever considered publishing your writings? Just a thought.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

what a beautiful picture. now i am going to have to go to my mothers because i think one of her strong beautiful grandmother hands holding my infant sons in a pose similar to your picture would be amazing. thank you for such a wonderful idea! and what fabulous sentiment, too.

1:25 AM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

What a beautiful gift this piece is to your son (and to other mothers like me)! You're an awesome mom!!!! Yay you! -- Snowsparkle

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Beautiful photo...and gorgeous words. Hope you'll print this post and tuck it away for him...so he'll always have it as a reminder...

4:10 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

wow...
amazing words
and thought...

5:27 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

This is wonderful, Michelle.

I hope you're printing and saving your blog messages to Britton so he can have them all in one place when he's older. They are a wonderful gift.

5:40 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

I love this line....

"many people and experiences you encounter want to either squelch your flame or harness it and claim it as their own".

It's so true in life and if you can foster enough spark behind his flame than you will have kindled an amazing spirit and light.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

I hope your son knows how blessed he is to have a mom like you! This is so beautiful and heartfelt and true. I also love the picture in it's tenderness and elegance. This is all so gorgeous.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

This totally made me get all choked up. It such a beautiful poem. I think I'm going to write something special for Jack and Stella, maybe try my had at poetry. Beautiful!!

8:02 AM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

"but then I remember it's not my light,it's yours, and I'm here to help you see and appreciate its radiance" - this made me cry. You inspire me to think that maybe I really could be a mom one day, sooner rather than later. Thank you.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

This is so beautiful! We try to convey so much to our children; you've said it so perfectly.

You still amaze me!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Thank you so much!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

I'm glad you linked this, even if it was a little late. It was wonderful to read.

By the way, I saw that you're from Lubbock. I'm a Tech alumni myself and have wanted to get back to Lubbock for years. My brother-in-law lives there too!

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

This post was so lovely. I found myself rereading just to enjoy the images again. Thanks for sharing this with us.

8:46 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Wonderful post! Keep it for him.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home