Sunday, October 23, 2005

Dreaming of Paris


Last night I dreamed of Paris.
I was leading my father and sister down a cobblestone street
towards the shadow of the Eiffel Tower
and its surrounding gardens -
is it the Tuileries or the Luxembourg,
I never can remember.
I was clapping my hands gleefully,
my feet barely touching the ground,
my father laughing at my excitement.
I was planning which cafes I would haunt on the rue to Bac,
where I would sit to sip tea and read poetry,
and how I would explore the rue Jacob
and the rue du Cherche-Midi
until I knew each marvelous and mysterious corner.
And of course I would visit Pere Lachaise
and pay my respects to Oscar Wilde
then offer a lovely bouquet to the sleeping Colette.
Ahhh...I love dreaming of Paris.
Such a delicious dream,
one that I wish I didn't have to wake from.
Maybe for just a few more minutes
I could drift on a bateaux-mouche down the Seine
or tiptoe through the Musee d'Orsay...
Just a few more minutes to meander the streets of Montmartre...
Just a few more minutes to enjoy the sweet revelry.

16 Comments:

Blogger ESB said...

Ah, Paris.....sigh. I love it, too. One of my favorite things is how much people enjoy their meals there--they're equally about the companionship and conversation as they are the food....I miss that.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

I had a memorable stay in Paris many years ago...but don't think I've dreamed about it... Lovely dream. :)

7:18 PM  
Blogger *aimee* said...

Unfortunately I have lived in a little bubble. I dream of dreaming of places like Paris. Great insight and depiction. Have a great week.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Sigh...I want to dream about Paris.

Saying - quite honestly! - that I dreamed last night about buying gas for $1.11 a gallon just doesn't have the same poetic ring to it, I'm afraid.

I'll just have to enjoy your dream vicariously instead.

8:13 PM  
Blogger liz elayne said...

What a wonderful dream...beautiful. I am jealous - I want my dreams to be that poetic.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

My sister always wants to go to Paris...it always seems so romantic, but i have never really wanted to go there after waiting tables in new orleans for so long...the french tourists that would come into the restaurant were so rude! sorry....the dream sounded so nice though :)

10:46 PM  
Anonymous irene said...

don't just dream about Paris. come and visit Paris. I'd be so happy to share some of those moments with you.

1:18 AM  
Blogger telfair said...

Now I feel like I've been to Paris, without the long plane ride and the shyness over a bad accent.

1:22 AM  
Blogger dani said...

cute collection/arrangement.

5:01 AM  
Blogger christina said...

This was so poetic and dreamy and lovely. I think we all would love to meander through Paris--especially with Irene, from MoMster... :)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ahhhh I love this I really really want to go to Paris. I will someday :)

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Donna Maria said...

Any dream that involves being with our Father's is a wonderful dream. What a lovely and tender vision.

10:52 AM  
Blogger acumamakiki said...

Sister girlfriend.....one more thing in common. J'adore Paris and our girl was conceived there, right in the Marais. We were all set to use Marais as a middle name (we needed an M name) until we found out the translation means swamp. (=

I'm assuming the eiffel tower collection is yours? It's so cool, I wish I had it.

11:10 AM  
Blogger bee said...

such a beautiful dream...makes me wish i could visit paris...

2:40 PM  
Blogger jenny vorwaller said...

oh my!!! what a beautiful image to go with your dream...

4:08 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

dreams about paris... always ALWAYS good.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home