Friday, September 23, 2005

Ninety

My memory is filled with
cantaloupes cut in half the centers filled with vanilla ice cream,
shucking corn and shelling peas,
snapping beans.
My memory is filled with
the cool summer nights floating through the open window, tickling my ear
while cicadas sing, accompanied by crickets on violin.
My memory is filled with
a girl chasing fireflies through the darkness
wondering where these miracles of light go when the sun is bright and heavy.
And you.
You are there too,
apron tied around your waist,
cooking and canning the summer harvest,
hands busy lest idleness set in,
working so diligently to nourish and nurture the family you've devoted your life to.
You almost resemble a fairy tale image,
not quite belonging to me
yet so much a part of me.

Happy 90th Birthday Gran! I love you!

3 Comments:

Blogger snowsparkle said...

Sublime! The purple thistle set against the soft ripe orange of the cantaloupe; your attention to the fine details in life are such a gift. It makes me happy to be alive. Thank you, thank you thank you!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Beautiful. Reminds me of my grandmother, I have so many rich memories of her.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Donna Maria said...

What lovely memories. Thank you for taking me there with you...thank you for sharing your experience with me; ME, a perfect stranger who recalls her own grandmother doing those very same things. God bless those strong women in all of our families throughout the world. Can on, I say! Can on!

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home