Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Self Portrait Tuesday

This is the first time I have participated in Self Portrait Tuesday. While I'm not "officially" on the group list I'm still going to participate until I am on the SPT list. It's kind of a relief to have a set topic for the blog one day a week. It doesn't require that I be "creative" in what I say. But it is a new kind of blogging risk...actually putting my own photograph out there for the public.

ckgirl has invited me to join a little community blogging game called the meme game. The basic idea is to build our blogging community by answering a question. See rules below:

Remove the blog at #1 from the following list and bump every one up one place; add your blog's name in the #5 spot; link to each of the other blogs for the desired cross polination effect.

Then you invite other friends to join in the fun to grow the community even larger.

So the question is "What 5 things do you miss about your childhood?"
Here are my answers:

1. Emotional outbursts were understandable...although it may not be acceptable and I might get in trouble for it, a tantrum was more okay then than it is now. Just look at my two year old. When he's upset he just throws himself on the ground, screams, whines, thrashes his body, and gets it all out. Now, if I throw a fit, flinging all the rubbermaid containers across the kitchen because I can't find a matching lid for this particular bowl, I think I need a visit to my therapist. If I stomp my feet and rant and rave at the grocery store people stare. I liked it when people just overlooked it because you were a kid and kids did that.

2. Birthdays were a big deal...I remember the day when my birthday really was about me. I got to have a party and people brought me presents. Now if I want a party I have to throw it myself and it seems like a week or two before my big day I have to start reminding people, "You know my birthday's next week." "Hey my birthday's coming up." I still love my birthday so it's always a little disappointing when it's not as big a deal as it used to be.

3. Lap time...I miss it, those moments when I would crawl into someone's lap and just let them love on me. My mom, my dad, my grandmother, my grandfather...it didn't matter. Sometimes I would just sit there, sometimes I would fall asleep being cradled, sometimes the person whose lap I was occupying would read to me. It didn't matter what the purpose of the lap time was. The ultimate purpose was always about feeling loved and safe. If it weren't for the fact that Trey does occasionally still let me have lap time with him I might have a serious on-set of "lack of lap depression."

4. Having absolutely no agenda...Do you remember those days. You woke up with nothing in particular to do. Just play...or whatever. I might lock myself up in my grandparents basement and read all day or lay in my bed and listen to music. I might play with Barbies or pretend I was one of the Mandrell sisters or Marie Osmond. I didn't carry around a never ending to-do list. The only list I kept was a list of all the movie stars I was going to marry one day.

5. Speaking of movie stars to marry(and I can hear Steve making fun of me as I write this)...I miss all those crushes and the pin ups that would cover my walls. Oh I still have the crushes but now I don't publicly express it, wearing a t-shirt with Orlando Blooms face on it like I did when I was a kid and I had a favorite pink t-shirt with Rick Springfield's image. I might still giggle with girl friends about the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy (that hot little Patrick Dempsey) or Tommy Lee Goes to College (yes I know he's a little skanky but so hot), but I don't cover my walls with their faces. Oh, I remember Tiger Beat and TeenBeat. Back in the day it was Don Johnson, all the guys from The Outsiders (Tom Howell, Matt Dillion, Tom Cruise, Emilio Estevez, Patrick Swayze, Ralph Macchio), and yes, Bruce Springsteen's cute little blue-jeaned butt with the baseball cap haning out. Nowadays being that crazy about a movie star (and publicly sharing it) seems immature and unrealistic. When did I start caring about the reality of it and other people's opinions? I remember the days of playing MASH over and over again (I was going to marry Ricky Schroder, live in an apartment in New York, have 3 dogs, 5 kids, and be an English teacher), and loving every minute of it.

Here is the current community list with my blog added...
1. Heather
2. Suzanne
3. Rebecca
4. gkgirl
5. Michelle

and here is who I'm inviting to play along...
1. Four Sweet Peas
2. Server Girl
3.Celebrating Mediocrity
4.Steve in a Day

And you can play too...What do you miss about your childhood?

7 Comments:

Blogger dani said...

I found your site via I don't know where just a day or so ago too. Now I've bookmarked you and look forward to reading more.

9:36 PM  
Blogger STEVE said...

Michelle, I can barely type! It takes me forever to jot a few lines, but now you want me to link this & remove that! Now I'm gonna have to take A computer coarse to keep up with you! Double dookie!

10:24 PM  
Blogger STEVE said...

BTW that is a great picture! Word up to Britton.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Your self portrait is really sweet. Thanks for including me in the blog game. I look forward to doing it, I always love thinking about my childhood

10:57 AM  
Blogger kath red said...

you are linked

9:08 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I enjoying reading your archives. This is an old post of yours so your probably not going to read it but man, we are SO much alike.

I play Mash with my kids now but for the "men" I choose guys like spongebob so as not to tramatize them or any thing, lol.

Oh and Ricky is so mine. I actually sent him those jelly bracelets (must of been 13) and in the letter I asked him to wear them on the show if he "really liked me"...

awww, the memories.
a.

5:08 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

that should be..I AM enjoying...

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home