Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I've Been Tagged



I've been tagged by Danielle, who was tagged by Stef, who was tagged by Mati, to make a list of five of my idiosyncrasies. Here are just five of my many quirks...

1. I have an obsession with books. Fat books, thin books, paperback books, hardback books, small books, big books, fiction, poetry, self-help, biography...I don't discriminate. I love them all. I have been guilty of choosing to purchase a book over paying a bill or buying groceries. I have purchased a book for no other reason than I liked the way it felt in my hands. I have shelves of books, some of them I've never even cracked open but at the time I just had to have it. One of my favorite times of the year (right up there with Christmas and my birthday) is the yearly Friends of the Library booksale. You can purchase books for $2-$3 at this deal. It's heaven. I have come home with sack loads. Some I've read, some I always intended to read but still haven't.

2. This goes hand in hand with the first idiosyncrasy...if I do start to read a book I will always finish it even if I absolutely hate it and swear its the worst piece of published manuscript ever. I feel like if I've made a commitment to a book I have to see it through to the end. I can't just stop in the middle. It would somehow amount to book betrayal, like giving up on a relationship just because we're having a bad patch. It may take me forever. I may only be able to mange a paragraph at a time but by-god I'll finish that thing if it's the last thing I do.

3. Also book related...Although the concept of libraries is awesome I will never check a book out at the library. I'll purchase it instead. I can't imagine investing that much time and energy into a precious book and then returning it. I just can't bring myself to do that. Once I've read a book it becomes a part of me, like a friend or a family member. How can I take it back to this place where it will be just another call number and where someone might not appreciate it the way I did? So you will never see me with a library card. I like to see the books that I've given my time to lining the bookshelves of my home, proof that I set out to do something and I did in deed complete that task. Plus, I like to take notes in the margins and highlight favorite passages. How can I do that if it is a library copy?

4. I completely stink at car maintenance. I've already ruined one vehicle by running it out of oil. It's not that I don't understand the importance of car care. I do. I just hate to do it. It's something that seems like a waste of time and money. Twenty bucks for an oil change?!?! I'd rather buy a book with that $20.

5. I have a quirky process of eating things but I think once you let me explain it it really does make perfectly good sense. I like to eat things least flavorful and fulfilling bite to most flavorful and fulfilling bite. For example...pizza - handle first, then pointy tip, then I alternate side to side until I get to the middle, which to me is the best bite of the whole thing, hamburgers - I eat in a circular motion working my way into the middle which, once again, is the best bite, sandwiches - same circular motion as the hamburger, crusty edges first then in a circle until I reach the center, burritos - first I eat the extra, folded over portion of the tortilla because it usually doesn't have any of the good stuff spread on it, then I eat the extra tortilla at the top (once again, no good stuff there), next I eat the bottom because it's mainly tortilla and I want to get that out of the way, finally I'm able to alternate bites from the top and bottom, getting to the middle which usually has the most bean, cheese, meat, etc. Makes sense doesn't it?

So now I'm tagging Steve. Steve is married to Cherri, one of my very best friends in the world. He is bitingly sarcastic, incredibly artistic, terribly humorous and just one of those God-you've-got-to-love-him kind of guys. Plus he's the only other blogger I know.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Trey said...

I'd like to add a sixth idiosyncrasy to Michelle's short list, and for some strange reason this one involves books. Go figure.

She cannot read a book (or any printed material for that matter) without reading it aloud. From across the room this is quite amusing, even cute. Her eyes rapidly scan a page from left to right and back again while her lips chatter silenty, incessantly.

I assure you though, in close proximity this is utterly annoying. Try reading next to Michelle in bed. The (not-so) silent whispers echo in your head and provide a "nice" overtone to [insert famous philosopher here]. In fact, our son has picked up this behavior and thinks that reading involves nothing more that moving your lips in crazy syncopation with nothing. The following poem was written several years ago and was inspired by this very behavior.

B & N

One hundred people surround her --
each consumed by conversation so deep
it cannot be heard.
Every light breath draws in the taste
of roasted, Columbian beans.
She throws a half smile
toward the counter where I wait,
briefly granting me existence,
before returning to the words of Mountaindreamer.
Dark eyes scrutinize each sentence
while lips silently whisper each syllable.
Her left hand flirts
with the worn edge of page 73.
Slender white fingers nervously wait
until it's time to move on
to the next chapter. I hesitate,
then approach the throne, offering
a steaming cup of blackberry tea
in exchange for an audience.
Her majesty accepts my gift,
deftly trying not to get burned.
"Can you still see any good in me?" I ask.
Eternity passes before her eyes leave the page,
"How do you like your coffee?"


--Trey

Glad I could contribute at least one odd behavior to this list. There are many more.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home