Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Incomprehensible

I've been looking at the images of the devastation left behind by Katrina. I've been listening to the stories of miracles and tragedy. It all seems so unreal. I can't quite wrap my brain around it. Is this really happening just a few hundred miles from my own small Texas town? Unbelievable. The survivors are grateful to be alive, echoing the same refrain...it was just stuff and stuff can be replaced. Yes,they're right. Stuff can be replaced. But it was more than stuff. It was lives. It was dreams. It was heritage and memories. It was meaning. And it's all gone. Entire coastal villages gone. I'm having a difficult time processing how I feel. On the one hand, I feel so removed, so far away, like this is some crazy movie, not reality. Because it hasn't personally touched me I can't quite take it in. On the other hand, I find my eyes filling with tears with each new story I hear. I feel a little silly. Afterall, what have I lost? Why am I grieving? Then I remind myself that it's only natural. Aren't we all really connected? It's only our bodies that give the illusion of separation. So of course I would feel grief. It belongs to all of us, not just those who have been directly effected. And, it's the compassion within each of us that is our only hope. It is that compassion that won't allow us to turn away, that inspires us to offer a helping hand, even if the only help we can afford to offer is a single heartfelt prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home