Tuesday, August 23, 2005

August and Everything After

Four years today. In this four years I think you have seen every side of me that exists. We have gone from being friends, to being more than friends, to being so much more than friends. Now we are deciding who will give the sex talk, who will answer the tough questions about God, and how we will pay for his college education and his first car. And I wouldn't choose anyone else to have these conversations with.
Over these four years you have lived with my craziness and I have lived with yours. You let me keep my dirty clothes on the floor for a week (before you just go ahead and pick them up for me) and I let you keep that so-called smoker in our driveway. I always rearrange the rubbermaid containers after you unload the dishwasher and you always roll up my yoga mat after I use it. It's all these little things that irritate the heck out of us that we choose to overlook and keep right on loving each other.
I love you for so many reasons. You have always seen the beauty in me even when I couldn't. You have always believed in my talent and ability when I struggled to believe in myself. You have never tried to rob me of power or silence my voice. You have always seen me as a partner even when I struggled to take that authority. But I think what I love the most about you is that you just let me do my thing. When I am caught up in new passions and brilliant plans you stand back and let me go with it. When I've got a new interest or I'm off on a new tangent you let me be. You have never demanded that I put my needs and wants second to the stereotypical roles that women are supposed to play. In fact you have never at all expected that I live up to any stereotypical roles. You have never asked me to be anything but Michelle. You give me all the freedom I need to unfold, to grow, to be. God only knows how many women I have been since we first met...but you have loved them all knowing that all of them are a part of my whole.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stef said...

this has to be the sweetest, most honest letter i've read. what a lucky couple you both are. thank you for reminding me about mine.

9:11 PM  
Blogger STEVE said...

O.k. I have no comment on this one but your ganna have to go back a couple of posts to read my comments about Gabril & headshrinkers. Much love.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Server Girl said...

hi! Noticed your comment on my site. Self portrait tuesdays...go to www.redcurrent.blogspot.com and sign up..it is free..she just adds u to the list of people who do it. Every tuesday u post a self pic and label it "self pic tuesday"..it is fun. Heather (my sister...foursweetpeas..) and I love it. I will add u to my links. Bet it is hot hot hot in texas right now..

9:54 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

wow...
that was so sweet
and well thought out

and i saw so much of myself
in what you were saying
that it was funny
especially the part about
"getting on a tangent"
and him letting you go off on it
heehee
it is the same for my husband and i
and sometimes i feel like
he must think i am a total nut
because each day i have a new plan
a new course of action
a new thing i want to learn
make
do
wear
be...
so...
yeah...
i related alot to what i read
:)

10:17 AM  
Blogger ♥ joleen ♥ said...

so sweet! :)

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home